Type 2 Bg and exercise

chris.brown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I was diagnosed type 2 about 6 months. At my last review my hb1 was 49 which was pretty darn good.
Pretty fit, cycling around 100 miles a week. Today I played football for the first time in 2 years.

BG before I played was 6.2 higher than usual but OK. After an hour of footy I tested again (about 30 mins after finishing) and my BG was 7.6

Last food was about 2 hours before playing.

I was expecting a drop in BG not a rise! Anyone with an explanation

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi. I was diagnosed type 2 about 6 months. At my last review my hb1 was 49 which was pretty darn good.
Pretty fit, cycling around 100 miles a week. Today I played football for the first time in 2 years.

BG before I played was 6.2 higher than usual but OK. After an hour of footy I tested again (about 30 mins after finishing) and my BG was 7.6

Last food was about 2 hours before playing.

I was expecting a drop in BG not a rise! Anyone with an explanation

Strenuous exercise may cause a stress reaction. Your liver has released stored glucose to help you out but if you are not producing enough insulin, you will not be able to use it up.

Reactions: 2 people

chris.brown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
OK thanks. So its expected and I guess a reading of 7 ish is not too bad although I am normally in the 4 this time of day. Still loads to learn

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Strenuous exercise may cause a stress reaction. Your liver has released stored glucose to help you out but if you are not producing enough insulin, you will not be able to use it up.

That's really interesting. I'm recently diagnosed T2 and started testing a few days ago. I exercise every evening after work, and my evening readings sre ok. This morning I went to the gym having not eaten for 14 hours, reading was 6.7 before I went and 10.2 after!! I was expecting it to drop. I might eat before I go next Sunday and see if that makes a difference.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
That's really interesting. I'm recently diagnosed T2 and started testing a few days ago. I exercise every evening after work, and my evening readings sre ok. This morning I went to the gym having not eaten for 14 hours, reading was 6.7 before I went and 10.2 after!! I was expecting it to drop. I might eat before I go next Sunday and see if that makes a difference.

You can get a lot of good advice by looking at the exercise forum.,

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/fitness-exercise-and-sport.33/

Reactions: 2 people