BG behaving unexpectedly ?

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm puzzled. I know my body has had a shock with chemo and radiation plus blood transfusions last year. I am slowly getting back to LCHF.. my favourite way of eating, but am nowhere near the 30g carbs per day I used to do yet. I'm averaging about 60g a day now.

I had a small piece of very rich fruit cake the other day and tested 7.2 before and 6.3 two hours after

Tonight I had a prawn curry with a small amount of rice.. estimated about 45g carbs in the meal.. I did go for a 30 minute walk after I'd washed up... 6.3 before and two hours later 5.1

Very pleased with these results but baffled as I'm eating probably twice the amount of carbs I used to.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm puzzled. I know my body has had a shock with chemo and radiation plus blood transfusions last year. I am slowly getting back to LCHF.. my favourite way of eating, but am nowhere near the 30g carbs per day I used to do yet. I'm averaging about 60g a day now.

I had a small piece of very rich fruit cake the other day and tested 7.2 before and 6.3 two hours after

Tonight I had a prawn curry with a small amount of rice.. estimated about 45g carbs in the meal.. I did go for a 30 minute walk after I'd washed up... 6.3 before and two hours later 5.1

Very pleased with these results but baffled as I'm eating probably twice the amount of carbs I used to.
When I get a nice low reading after 2 hours I sometimes try again at 3 hours and get a nasty shock.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear.. I'll try again in a while then

Daisyduck - Anything with a fair proportion of fat can take a while to peak, and rice can be tricky too. Alternatively, it could be your body was understandably stressed before your treatment, and is performing well now?

In your shoes, I might be inclined to go into a little while of intense testing, or I might indulge myself with a Libre sensor.

Well done getting back on the LC horse, and continuing good luck with the treatment and recovery.

Reactions: daisyduck

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that a Libre sensor for 2 weeks, or 4 weeks, may be a way to go. They teach you so much about what is happening in between tests.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey Daisyduck, so glad to hear that you are improving after the assault your body has sustained from cancer and then the necessary treatment.( Having gone through chemo twice, I found that my body reacted differently to foods I used to be able to eat with no problems....I blame the IBS on all the chemo....)anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if you find it will take your body some time to "settle in" to your new normal....so perhaps you will be able to tolerate a few carbs now and then....if you don't get the spikes those above have mentioned, perhaps you will find that you don't have to do the extreme carb restriction like before...or you may find that some foods you used to enjoy aren't so great now...just a thought. Blessings/L

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Daisyduck, so glad to hear that you are improving after the assault your body has sustained from cancer and then the necessary treatment.( Having gone through chemo twice, I found that my body reacted differently to foods I used to be able to eat with no problems....I blame the IBS on all the chemo....)anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if you find it will take your body some time to "settle in" to your new normal....so perhaps you will be able to tolerate a few carbs now and then....if you don't get the spikes those above have mentioned, perhaps you will find that you don't have to do the extreme carb restriction like before...or you may find that some foods you used to enjoy aren't so great now...just a thought. Blessings/L

Yes, thanks, I am finding exactly that. Celery and mushrooms seem a little harsh on my tummy now. It's a long process working out what causes problems though. Hope you have yours sorted now ?

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey Daisyduck, I unfortunately attribute my IBS to all the chemo and there are soooo many foods I can't tolerate anymore, but through trial and error I have learned what works best - fortunately I can still enjoy proteins and moderate amounts of fat, so even with LCHF mine is more LCMF and I work with that. I think I am ingesting too much protein and maybe dairy - cheese is my go to too often I'm thinking:( But, I am grateful for what I have and what I can do - but it does take a while to figure out the new normal....so different than before but still good:) Blessings/L

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
if it works go with it. keep testing and keep up the good work