BG from 33!!! to 6 after a 20 month denial

Pilates Deb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
House work!
Hi I'm new to this site although I visited some 2 1/2 years ago when newly diagnosed. After my diagnosis I took the meds followed the advice, I got my blood levels sorted and in a healthy range, my meds were lowered and my eating was under control. Then life happened and both my parents died after a long time of caring for both of them, both suffering with awful dementia. You'd have thought things would improve with my new freedom, but oh no, I ate and ate, all the wrong stuff, avoiding seeing my diabetic nurse, until 9 weeks ago when the diabetic nurse finally caught up with me (thank you Christine).

My BG was 33! my monitor quietly beep the words "Hi" to me as I stood dumbstruck! My meds were increased and slowly by 4 weeks my reading came down to 16, I was pleased that I had got them down to 16 (from 33) but had the wind taken out of my sails when my nurse started talking about injecting insulin. Shae gave me a fortnight to get my head around it. I had many tears and carried on with a Low carb diet and researched foods online, 2 best discoveries were cream vs milk and the seriously low carb bread (my saviour) By the time my nurse phoned me up again I was down to single figures (yay). The moment was wonderful upon telling her of these results but I was feeling sick at the thought of injecting myself. But Oh boy did I do a jig when she said carry on as I am and see her next February. Can't tell you how happy I am. I am back in control and lost an awful lot of weight, which was much needed.

So Hello to all of you out there and thank you for reading I hope it inspires just one person to hang on in and keep up the good work.......Happy Days.....albeit in lockdown 2.

Reactions: PEATIE58

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I'm new to this site although I visited some 2 1/2 years ago when newly diagnosed. After my diagnosis I took the meds followed the advice, I got my blood levels sorted and in a healthy range, my meds were lowered and my eating was under control. Then life happened and both my parents died after a long time of caring for both of them, both suffering with awful dementia. You'd have thought things would improve with my new freedom, but oh no, I ate and ate, all the wrong stuff, avoiding seeing my diabetic nurse, until 9 weeks ago when the diabetic nurse finally caught up with me (thank you Christine).

My BG was 33! my monitor quietly beep the words "Hi" to me as I stood dumbstruck! My meds were increased and slowly by 4 weeks my reading came down to 16, I was pleased that I had got them down to 16 (from 33) but had the wind taken out of my sails when my nurse started talking about injecting insulin. Shae gave me a fortnight to get my head around it. I had many tears and carried on with a Low carb diet and researched foods online, 2 best discoveries were cream vs milk and the seriously low carb bread (my saviour) By the time my nurse phoned me up again I was down to single figures (yay). The moment was wonderful upon telling her of these results but I was feeling sick at the thought of injecting myself. But Oh boy did I do a jig when she said carry on as I am and see her next February. Can't tell you how happy I am. I am back in control and lost an awful lot of weight, which was much needed.

So Hello to all of you out there and thank you for reading I hope it inspires just one person to hang on in and keep up the good work.......Happy Days.....albeit in lockdown 2.
Brilliant!

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a wonderful achievement in such a short time!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

So so sorry to hear about the loss of both your parents very sad and if you’d been caring for a while it will have had a huge impact.
Wonderful progress though getting a low carb way forward - using food you are happy to eat and enjoy is definitely the way forward.
Just to add as a carer, caring can definitely result in major stress which increases cortisol and raises blood glucose in preparation for flight or fight. For me eating too many carbs definitely contributed to my diabetes but so did - and does - the consequences of caring and stress!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What a great story, keep it up!

And I love your profile pic :happy:
Your dog looks like an echo of mine in the picture hanging in my living room!

124890383_10222215096000683_6897721924371564221_o.jpg

Pilates Deb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
House work!
My profile pic is my best buddy Teddy, only 2 years old and my grandchild substitute. Love a run on the beach as does the look of your dog in the photograph. Seems to running in mud these days, but hey there is always the bath!