BG level increased over night

khkwong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Last night, just before I slept, around 1130pm, I measured my BG level n is 5.8. This morning around 630am, my BG level increased to 6.1. Why it increased even if I don't eat anything before going to bed? I m type 2 patient but control my BG by controlling my food n by exercise, without taking any diabetic medicine.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like Dawn Phenomenon, where your liver is preparing you for the day by increasing glucose levels. It seems to be very common, and hard to reduce. I've been trying to reduce my morning BG for a year with little sucess (my readings are in the low sixes in the morning).

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Last night, just before I slept, around 1130pm, I measured my BG level n is 5.8. This morning around 630am, my BG level increased to 6.1. Why it increased even if I don't eat anything before going to bed? I m type 2 patient but control my BG by controlling my food n by exercise, without taking any diabetic medicine.

Hi. I am also Type 2 with similar readings to these...and. liek many others, I too control my BG purely through diet and do not take any medication for it. My BG level is often slightly higher in the morning. This is common. The liver dumps glucose into the system in preparation for the day's activity ahead...almost like an automatic process. This is linked to your general carb intake (or more accurately, to the BG levels during the previous day or so and is very hard to predict wit any kind of precision). Generally, my waking level is under 6mmols only if I've been pretty strict with my low carb diet during the day and my levels have stayed under 7...but, as I said, its rather unpredictable). I am not, however, convinced that your numbers are due to this liver dump/dawn phenomenon - quite honestly, self-testing meters vary in accuracy and have, as you will know, margins of error; let's face it, the difference between 5.8 and 6.1 is, in terms of meter readings, almost non-existent. If you test twice before bed and twice in the morning (or at any time really), you will see what I mean. In short - it is nothing to worry about even in the slightest.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see 2 issues here.
1. Our glucose meter typically have a error range of +/- 10%-15%. So the difference is well within the range.

2. Our body tend to try to maintain a certain level of glucose for normal functions and increase it in the morning to kickstart the system. Having the Libre Flash Glucose meter helps provide some insight into the night time (12am-6am) glucose flucturation that was unavailable with regular meter.

Note the gradual rise just before dawn. Typically starting from 4-5am...from a low of 3.9mmol to around 5.5 mmol.

upload_2017-6-21_10-26-11.png

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A carb filled day spills over to the higher fasting glucose all night long...well above 5.5 mmol unlike the previous 4 nights...

upload_2017-6-21_12-40-54.png

Last edited: