Bg levels

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys I'm coming up to 15 weeks pregnant now and having lots of hypos so decreasing my insulin to match, is this normal? Also what should my spikes be in between meals?
Thanks in advance

M

mammamia2006

As baby grows your requirements do change quite a bit, to start you will need less insulin then as you progress, you will need to keep increasing.

As long as youur bg is between 4-7 and (I think) spikes below 10 then you should be ok.

My bg reached as much as 20 during a lot of my pregnancy but after a few weeks in hospital, it was perfectly well controlled.

If you are worried, phone the antenatal clinic, they should be able to keep you right.

Reactions: 4 people

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys I'm coming up to 15 weeks pregnant now and having lots of hypos so decreasing my insulin to match, is this normal? Also what should my spikes be in between meals?
Thanks in advance

I'm 15+5 days and was surprised how low I was still running - up until 2 days ago I was still reducing all my rates every few days. According to studies, it's usually around week 15 that insulin needs start to increase, on average.

The increase has started for me, just on Friday, and my day time basal rates have already jumped up quite a bit. Yesterday I had pump site issues and hit 14 a couple of times before I realized. Today I hit 12 but corrected and increased my rates and I'm back down to 5.5 at last test. I expect to have some spikes this week as my insulin needs increase.

The guidelines I was given were between 4.0-5.8 before meals; 7.8 one hour after meals. I've definitely experienced higher spikes than 7.8 after meals but manage to stay below 10 most of the time. The guidelines are incredibly tight so I try not too stress too much when I'm out of them.

I saw an American Diabetes Association stat that said their guidelines are 3.3-5.5 before meals - this seems crazy to me because I've always had hypo symptoms around 4.1.

Just pay attention to your body and do what you need to in terms of adjustments. Everyone is a little different.

Reactions: 2 people

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you I just can't stop myself from worrying I was only diagnosed 10 weeks ago and my bloods were so high I worry that everything is not ok. I've emailed my DSN this morning so hopefully I can get an appt with the MW.

I know a little about adjusting my insulin but not much, and I seem to keep getting it wrong! Hence why I love this forum so handy x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's normal to have lots of lows at that stage of pregnancy. I had to eat sweets and keep Lucozade beside me at night.

As the PP said, soon you'll become more insulin resistant and your insulin needs will rise. If you have Think Like A Pancreas or can get a look at it, there's a useful little chart which gives you an idea how your insulin needs will change during pregnancy.

I was told to keep my spike below 8 after meals, and my before meal sugars in the 4s or 5s. Obviously, that's not always easy, especially when your needs are changing, but I tested frequently and corrected if necessary

Speak to your clinic. Mine has a special DSN for pregnancy. I was really well looked after by my team and they were always available to help. Don't be afraid to ask as that's what they're there for .

Good luck. X

Reactions: 4 people