1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

BG meter that doesn't need a finger stab

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Eldorado, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Eldorado

Eldorado Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway.
    Is there such a thing as a smart meter that will let you enter a BG result, rather than doing a finger stab?
    I'm currently using the Freestyle Libre which I absolutely love. I'm happy to inject based on scan results so it's given me freedom from the awful endless finger stabbing. Prior to the Libre I was using the Accuchek Aviva Expert. The Freestyle Reader is not really up to it as a meter. I do use the RapidCalc app which is pretty good.
    What I'd really like is an equivalent to the Expert, but without the finger stabbing.
    I think I'm probably asking for too much.

2. bangkokdiabetic

bangkokdiabetic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

3. Eldorado

Eldorado Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks. That's really interesting. I was getting quite excited until I got to near the end of the article:
    ' they hope to have a device about the size of a shoe box ready in about three years. And, their ultimate goal is to develop a portable meter, they say'.
    A shoe box! Oh well. Way to go I guess.

4. DunePlodder

DunePlodder Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That article is 4+ years old! I'm really hoping this one proves a success, though I'm a bit sceptical:
    https://epichealth.io/

5. pollensa

pollensa · Guest

The most
    wonderful testing machine is GENTEEL, yes it still pricks but it is painless and you don't have to press blood it works by suction, its amazing...you can test, top of arm, palm of hand, just above the knee inner arm, wherever. look Genteel up on website, and watch how it works. I bought one in Spain, and its amazing.

Mallorca

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jimsboss

jimsboss · Member

I received a card with a batch of needles from Glaxo. They sent me a smart phone adapter with strips and finger jabber.
    . Problem is the app is only iPhone and iPads. I spoke to Glaxo and they said they are working on an android app and bloodless reader for release early this year. So far nothing.

7. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

android apps need a LOT more testing, as they have to test on every make and modal of phones. By removing freedom from users apple makes it a lot easier to test apps.

8. Janetmbt

Janetmbt Other · Newbie

9. tayelola

tayelola Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It will be a welcome development to monitor bg without jabbing

10. scholey23@gmail.com

[email protected] Type 2 · Newbie

Hi, I read up on the Libre system and was impressed but then I found the Dexcom system. It provides a continuous read out of BG levels, provides alarms for Hypo and Hyper readings, sudden rises and sudden drops are also measured. The system works with iPhone, iPad, Mac or PC. Or you can purchase their very own reader. The cost, I feel, is similar to Libre and there are discounts on the necessary sensors and transmitter. Each sensor lasts for 5 days, approx while the transmitter lasts quite a bit longer. It is just a question of place the sensor and forget it for a week. A very easy system to use with excellent print outs and a constant monitoring provides ease of mind.

11. TheBigNewt

TheBigNewt Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There's a comparison of Libre and Dexcom on the Glucose Monitoring forum: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/blood-monitors-compared.4982/

12. bamba

bamba Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook