BG Rollercoaster

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I was on the rollercoaster that my BG has been taking in the last 36 or so hours I'd be asking to get off.

I have had a mild cold hanging around for the last few weeks but it hasn't affected my BG until now, but it really seems to be happening in spurts as you can see from my BG results below:

Yesterday
07:00 19.1
08:20 21.0
09:30 15.0
10:50 10.5
13:50 3.6
14:05 3.0
14:20 6.8
16:07 13.0
18:20 16.3
19:50 13.8
21:50 6.5
00:15 8.5

Today
07:10 14.1
08:45 14.9

My main question is, should I put a temporary basal on? I'm more concerned that it's not high all the time and I struggled to get out of hypo yesterday lunchtime. Part of the high yesterday morning was related to having curry for dinner on Sunday evening, thnk I got my Bolus all wrong with it.

Just don't want to mess it all up and go majorly hypo :banghead:

I've never had any ketones when I've had high BG

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
As you have only been on a pump for just over a month, there's a strong possibility that your basals have changed so you need to do some basal testing :( Perhaps do some night checks first. I would suspect your afternoon high is carb overload from treating the lunch time hypo.
To discount all things keep to a simple diet no pasta or rice etc., so no impact on blood sugars to cloud the issues.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As you have only been on a pump for just over a month, there's a strong possibility that your basals have changed so you need to do some basal testing :( Perhaps do some night checks first. I would suspect your afternoon high is carb overload from treating the lunch time hypo.
To discount all things keep to a simple diet no pasta or rice etc., so no impact on blood sugars to cloud the issues.
Yeah I had suspected that too :( was hoping to get the festivities out of the way before beginning my testing again.

I had to take two doses of hypo treatment as it went down when I did my first retest, just feel I'm banging my head against the wall sometimes.

iHs

Good luck learning the ropes with pumping.....it happens for evrryone so dont worry. To treat a low bg, I either use 2 or 3 jellybabies or 2tsp sugar in warm cuppa tea or coffee. The only time I might also eat 10g carb biscuit is if Ive gone really low approx 2hrs after the bolus, so use trial and error and bg test to find your way.

Roll on cgm with the artificial pancreas. ....2015 looks promising

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I wld say that this is needing basal testing not a tbr. As carbsrok says you only a month in and I know from my first initial set up I had huge changes to make.

To be honest on those readings I would be lowering the basals first 2 hes before you head downward.. Thats a priority...
If you are going to be changing the high readings too... Just be very aware that those hours will also impact on giving you more insulin when you are going low.

Its worth considering that novorapid can last up to 5 hours so do watch how much you adjust the hours 5, 4 n 3 ahead of those lows..as they are big drops....

Basal testing is a priority over tbr in your case..