BG steady after eating carb and protein and/or fat combined?

GDE

Hi all:

I have noticed that each time if I combine carb with either fat or protein (e.g. cheese and tomato sandwich, chicken and rice) then my BSL remain steady after 2 hours (around 4-5 mmols). Also my blood sugar almost always remains high mid-morning after breakfast (in mid to high 7 mmols). Does anyone have the same experience?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
If you combine carbs with fat then the digestion of the carbs can be slowed down.Have you taken a reading after three hours to see if it is still the same as two hours?
What do you eat at breakfast time?

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
In my humble experience (to date 2.5 months and counting) when combining higher than usual levels of carbs with generous proportions of fats, the standard 2 hour PP at first seems pretty good, then climbs (until such point as I feel entirely kak) and then remains higher than normal overnight - my conclusion from this is that the fat slows the uptake of the carbs into the system, but prolongs the hyperglycaemia ... this is purely self-experimentation :)

GDE

Hi Sue, that's a good point. I hadn't thought about testing 3 hours after the combined meal. I must do that. But wouldn't the BG been long gone from the system by then? Also I have a bowl of easy-made fine oat porriage with organic oat milk for breakfast (can't use cow's milk as I'm lactose intolerant), plus usually a slice of wholemeal toast with low fat margarine say, 20 mins to half an hour after the porriage. I used to have 2 wheat biscuits with the oat milk instead of the porriage but the same thing happened hence I changed to the porriage as there's added sugar in the wheat biscuits but no added sugar in the porriage cereal. The organic oat milk has no added sugar in it either so I really don't understand why my BG would go up. Is it because the insulin level is usually low in the mornings anyway?

GDE

Hi Jem, thanks for your advice. I think I'm going to take Sue's advice and try to test it 3 hours after the carb/fat/protein to see if the BSL would go up. I thought it must have been too good to be true about the steady BG! :D

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
yup - like that pizza t the weekend ... seemed like a good idea at the time ... and the first time I had one, I did my usual 2 hour PP test and was amazing how low the result compared to my expectations - then the following morning it was even higher - which gave me cause to test more thoroughly (as Sue suggested) on this most recent foray into the world of carb-rich Italian flat foods :) ... and whaddya know?

2 hours = 8.something
3 hours = 9.something
4 hours = 9.8 and feeling buggering AWFUL I mean unable to stay awake or communicate or anything
next morning = 8.2 and feeling hungover (although no booze imbibed)

morals of the story?

1. know you enemy ;)
2. understand its tactics
3. try not to eat half a cheesey crust vegetable supreme more than once a month!

:)

best, J/x

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
That is ,in fact,known as the pizza effect,Jem.It is quite well known.

Jem

Dislikes
it is now well known to me love¬!

but 2.5 months ago I hadn't even heard of Bernstein :) ... baby steps for us newbies :):)

xxx

jopar

As already said the pizza effect.. Mind you rice can do the same...

For a T2, this is more difficult to handle and I will leave it to the T2's to give there advice...

But for the T1, there is several ways that you can use insulin if you are on a Basal/Bolus regime to compat this effect... But it is trial and error and needs carefull concideration...

Some find that injecting the insulin after you've eaten sorts it out where others find that taking a small amount of insulin before and then the rest a little after they eaten the meal works for them...

And then some, decide that they really don't want the faffing around so go for the lets find a lower carb alternitive to solve the problem...

Jem

Dislikes
I did try a recipe for "low carb pizza" using riced cauliflower and mozzarella as the base ... it was KAK ... and I love my cauli in many ways, steamed, mashed, roasted ... but not, it would seem, as a pizza base ... or mushy pile of oooook ;)

GDE

Yeah Jopar I have to agree, rice really is quite lethal, especially white rice, hence I don't touch the stuff, only consume brown rice. But I tested 6.9 mmol 2 hrs postprandial on brown earlier on with (even with protein), not good at all. Must try harder! :D

GDE

oh cauli pizza oh yeeeek ouch!!!! :D I love cauliflower cheese though! But as for pizza think I will pass on the cauliflower and eat the plain base instead! :D

Jem

Dislikes
GDE said:
oh cauli pizza oh yeeeek ouch!!!! :D I love cauliflower cheese though! But as for pizza think I will pass on the cauliflower and eat the plain base instead! :D

yup - it was gross ... I mean in a seriously could not eat anything else way ;)

I have concluded instead that I shall make omelettes (with mostly egg white) and top them with pizza toppings :) lovely :):):):)

x

Trinkwasser

sugarless sue said:
That is ,in fact,known as the pizza effect,Jem.It is quite well known.

At one stage I thought the only thing my dietician had got right was to tell me how bad pizza was - though even there she was concerned about the fats when in retrospect it was the carbs that were the real danger.

Curiously I've since discovered that the combination of carbs with fat - and yes even real genuine pizza in small enough quantities and well diluted with salad and red wine - are quite good fuel for exertion, the glucose is trickled into my blood at a rate my pancreas can keep up with and my BG will stay level for several hours of Extreme Gardening or similar without fear of hypos or liver dumps.

YMMV obviously

I favour high levels of protein with breakfast especially. Over time you learn to balance the macronutrients in a way your specific body can cope with.