BG testing

M

Maybird

Being prediabetic I have read a lot about diabetes on the internet but there was one thing I did wonder about that I have not seen on here. About BG testing it said you should never use the first drop of blood when you prick your finger you should always prick again ...presumably the same finger..and use that for the test. Anyone here do that

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No not at all, as long as the finger is clean and dry I can't see why you would need to do this, where did you read this as it's news to me :?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've seen this one before, some places do recommend it. On team decided to do a series of tests to find the 'best' method and published their results.
Conclusion
We recommend washing the hands with soap and water, drying them, and using the first drop of blood for self-monitoring of blood glucose. If washing hands is not possible, and they are not visibly soiled or exposed to a sugar-containing product, it is acceptable to use the second drop of blood after wiping away the first drop. External pressure may lead to unreliable readings.
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/34/3/556.full

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
BramHall456 said:
My dr said I only need testing once a year, ive always had six monthley tests.my average pre meal reading pre breakfast is 7.5.now. I think he is wrong. any comments appreciated.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
A lot can happen in a year ! I don't know your medical history so not easy to comment but I would ask for more frequent testing. Possibly buy yourself a meter and test yourself once a month or so if you have the funds. The meters are pretty cheap and a pack of strips will last you a while.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

K

Kat100

I rely on my hba1c 12 weekly test, gp and dietitian support....the practice does not believe in t2 testing...
I am happy with my progress so far, not saying it will always remain this way....