Bg Unexplained Fluctuation

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 2 on insulin.Being away cannot contact my endocrinologist.
Usual dose of insulin last night and usual meal.

Felt bad around midnight and Bg was 2.5. Had fruit juice and a piece of chocolate. Went to bed without checking Bg.

First thing in the morning Bg was 5.5 (dawn phenomenon or Somogyi effect ?).

Cannot find any explanation for the low.

Or it`s just accepting the fact we have a metabolic disease sometimes out of control no matter what we do.

D

Deleted Account

There are many things which affect our BG: food, alcohol, exercise, stress, illness, drugs, time of day, month year, weather, ...

If you are away, it is likely your usual regime has changed. Even though you ate your usual meal, you may have done more exercise or had a glass of wine which you don't usually drink, or slept in a warmer room than usual or ...

With so many things which can affect our BG, it is often not possible to work out what caused one oddity.
I keep an eye on trends and make adjustments based on these rather than one off events.

I am a little confused by one part of your message - you mention a BG of 2.5 which you treated with fruit juice and chocolate. Then you were surprised by a BG of 5.5. I do not know what is your usual fasting BG but 5.5 seems reasonable and would match with a treated hypo.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It seems your treatment of the hypo at 2.5 was successful as you woke with a perfect number....no?

why did you go low....well, its very likely an insulin dosing issue.....why it didn't work the same as it normally does is basically a mystery....although you could repeat the same conditions again and see what happens....if a pattern emerges then and adjustment can be made to the dose if its needed...

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much.
There are many things which affect our BG: food, alcohol, exercise, stress, illness, drugs, time of day, month year, weather, ...

Does it mean things you mention cause hypos or the same issues can rise Bg ?

Speaking of my hypo, you seem to have solved the mystery.

Have doubled exercise lately , glass of wine after food (100 ml) and extremely hot weather.

Within two weeks Bg has been between 3.5 and 4.5 two hours after meal.

Possibly my mistake for not checking fasting Bg,too, (at least not every week) but I think testing it 2 hours after meal tells me how food affects my Bg (already tired of pricking fingers).

Thank you again.

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It seems your treatment of the hypo at 2.5 was successful as you woke with a perfect number....no?

why did you go low....well, its very likely an insulin dosing issue.....why it didn't work the same as it normally does is basically a mystery....although you could repeat the same conditions again and see what happens....if a pattern emerges then and adjustment can be made to the dose if its needed...

My doses are supposed to be adjusted plus minus two units, which I find very narrow margin, and as said cannot contact my doctor.Anyway, I find hypos more acceptable because I can treat them, unlike elevated Bg because I cannot do anything more to increase insulin response (already exhausted of exercising and low carb food).
Thank you.

D

Deleted Account

Does it mean things you mention cause hypos or the same issues can rise Bg ?
We are all different. For example, the hot weather causes some people to have higher bg and some to have lower.
In general, alcohol reduces bg and exercise cab have a similar effect.