1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

bgs readings

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by bedshaped2000, May 29, 2011.

1. bedshaped2000

bedshaped2000 · Well-Known Member

Im not showing off but has anyone had this before. Ive got my weight right down fom 19 stone give or take a pound down to 13 and a half stone. this is my third year as a diabetic on diet and exercise. Heres the funny thing i seem to be getting away with a lot of foods i wasnt when i was diagnosed. im rarely hitting 6 and always seem to be running at 4,4 to 5.4 but im eating stuff that i couldnt do before. is there any reason for this? it seems that i keep pushing my luck and the numbers still stay low. ive even tried another meter to see if it was reading wrong but it wasnt.

2. hallii

hallii · Well-Known Member

Yes. it can happen, your pancreas has less work to do and has probably recovered to some extent, this enables you to get away with a few more carbs. I can likewise get away with more than I did before getting my BGs down (HbA1c 5.00%) without any undue increase in my BGs.

Then I am on Metformin and that helps a bit.

Remember that we have a progressive condition, don't over do it, or your pancreas might just go on strike again :D

H

3. Sid Bonkers

Sid Bonkers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Your weight loss is nothing short of incredible, 5 1/2 stone wow [​IMG] That and the exercise will no doubt have had a combined effect in reducing your insulin resistance and enabling your pancreas to slow down a bit and as you will now be able to utilise your insulin more effectively you will be able to eat more carby foods, but, theres always a but right? If by eating more carby foods you start to put the weight back on your insulin resistance will no doubt return with the weight so it is important to keep your current weight to keep those bg levels down.

I am also able to eat things now that would have put me into double figures at diagnosis but I do try to stay away from the biscuit barrel and the Stilton as there lies weight gain, for me at least.

Keep up the excellent work bedshaped :D

4. Dougie22

Dougie22 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Congratulations.

You've done exactly what I aspire to do and been "rewarded" with an excellent results.

This gives me hope that I can get there two by dumping the weight, controlling the BG levels and getting fitter.

Not saying it will be easy for me but it's definitely the route I'm taking for now.

5. bedshaped2000

bedshaped2000 · Well-Known Member

hi douguie all you need is will power and determination. my job was on the line because im a lgv driver and if diabetes progresses to insulin then eventually dvla will revoke my license. i just made sure i walked for a hour and a half every day which results into just under 5 mile. i eat every 2 and a half hours about 15g of carb plenty of fruit but never together in the 2 and a half hour block. i bought some digital scales and once you start weighing fruit and food portions you will been in shock to the portions you used to have and how much carbs-sugar you were consuming. i still cant get round to shredded wheat which has no sugar works out the same as roughly coco pops after you do the carb count. No wonder why there is a epidemic. i balance my kids diet like mine and there behaviour is much better. on the weekends when they can have what they want they fly off the walls. as long as they eat there veg fruit and are balanced they can have what they want in reason. my 5 yr old girl can tell me how much carb is in foods and weather i can have a little bit or nothing

6. Dougie22

Dougie22 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Excellent.

I'm at the start of my journey but have lost at least a stone already and gradually getting to understand the effects of carbs on my BG.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook