bgs readings

bedshaped2000

Im not showing off but has anyone had this before. Ive got my weight right down fom 19 stone give or take a pound down to 13 and a half stone. this is my third year as a diabetic on diet and exercise. Heres the funny thing i seem to be getting away with a lot of foods i wasnt when i was diagnosed. im rarely hitting 6 and always seem to be running at 4,4 to 5.4 but im eating stuff that i couldnt do before. is there any reason for this? it seems that i keep pushing my luck and the numbers still stay low. ive even tried another meter to see if it was reading wrong but it wasnt.

hallii

Yes. it can happen, your pancreas has less work to do and has probably recovered to some extent, this enables you to get away with a few more carbs. I can likewise get away with more than I did before getting my BGs down (HbA1c 5.00%) without any undue increase in my BGs.

Then I am on Metformin and that helps a bit.

Remember that we have a progressive condition, don't over do it, or your pancreas might just go on strike again :D

H

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Your weight loss is nothing short of incredible, 5 1/2 stone wow
clap.gif
That and the exercise will no doubt have had a combined effect in reducing your insulin resistance and enabling your pancreas to slow down a bit and as you will now be able to utilise your insulin more effectively you will be able to eat more carby foods, but, theres always a but right? If by eating more carby foods you start to put the weight back on your insulin resistance will no doubt return with the weight so it is important to keep your current weight to keep those bg levels down.

I am also able to eat things now that would have put me into double figures at diagnosis but I do try to stay away from the biscuit barrel and the Stilton as there lies weight gain, for me at least.

Keep up the excellent work bedshaped :D

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Congratulations.

You've done exactly what I aspire to do and been "rewarded" with an excellent results.

This gives me hope that I can get there two by dumping the weight, controlling the BG levels and getting fitter.

Not saying it will be easy for me but it's definitely the route I'm taking for now.

bedshaped2000

hi douguie all you need is will power and determination. my job was on the line because im a lgv driver and if diabetes progresses to insulin then eventually dvla will revoke my license. i just made sure i walked for a hour and a half every day which results into just under 5 mile. i eat every 2 and a half hours about 15g of carb plenty of fruit but never together in the 2 and a half hour block. i bought some digital scales and once you start weighing fruit and food portions you will been in shock to the portions you used to have and how much carbs-sugar you were consuming. i still cant get round to shredded wheat which has no sugar works out the same as roughly coco pops after you do the carb count. No wonder why there is a epidemic. i balance my kids diet like mine and there behaviour is much better. on the weekends when they can have what they want they fly off the walls. as long as they eat there veg fruit and are balanced they can have what they want in reason. my 5 yr old girl can tell me how much carb is in foods and weather i can have a little bit or nothing

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Excellent.

I'm at the start of my journey but have lost at least a stone already and gradually getting to understand the effects of carbs on my BG.