Big bleed from Infusion Site

acampbell1318

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

Sorry for the dramatic headline. I know everyone gets those little bleeds into their infusion set cannula when they hit a capillary. But the problem I'm having is quite different.

Twice now, when a new cannula has been extremely painful to insert - and stayed painful; the cannula is completely clear and looks normal- I've then removed it and like a dam bursting a flow of blood has emerged. Enough blood to run down my legs. It stops with pressure applied to the site - like an injury. But it leaves a painful blue lump of a bruise. This second time it has stayed very painful for a long time - my pharmacist gave me lidocaine cream for it.

I'm not on any blood thinners and never had any bleeding issues previously. I've only been on the pump 5 months and this has happened twice in the last 6 weeks.
Upon contacting my pump clinic they don't know what it is. The AccuChek Aviva rep says it can happen when capillaries are more open from a shower - I didn't change the cannula at a showering time. The pharmacist said it may be a little tissue has been caught by the cannula which then stops the flow of blood, building pressure which translates as pain. This is then released when the cannula is removed. DSN says it might be, but they don't know.

I see on this forum discussions of the cannula bleed being solved by using the angled infusion sets. The Accuchek rep did advise me to change to their angled infusion set Tenderlink - but it doesn't have an insertion device. :(
I saw the mention of the Tandem Cleo which does have an insertion device, but I'm guessing it's not on the NHS - yet to find out.

Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? Feeling weird that pump clinic are stumped.... :(

PS. this is happening on my tummy.

Hi I have been on the new Omni pod for 6 months now and it is continuously happening to me. I am told I am hitting small capillaries, but nobody can tell me how to stop it from happening. I am to the point of not using the pump anymore, it is very frustrating. I had the same issue about 10years ago when I was on a different pump. if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I have been on the new Omni pod for 6 months now and it is continuously happening to me. I am told I am hitting small capillaries, but nobody can tell me how to stop it from happening. I am to the point of not using the pump anymore, it is very frustrating. I had the same issue about 10years ago when I was on a different pump. if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Hi I am on the same pump and had a similar thing. If it helps I did three things. I rang omi pod makers and they put me touch with a really helpful nurse at the company who went through it all with me. She suggested it was the angles I was putting it in and gave me direction to putting them in. Also I was finding I was bleeding and irritated when it was on. I now use cailvon as it turns out I am allergic to the mAterial the sites use (typical me!) I don't know if that helps but I found the help line so valuable

iHs

Hi I am on the same pump and had a similar thing. If it helps I did three things. I rang omi pod makers and they put me touch with a really helpful nurse at the company who went through it all with me. She suggested it was the angles I was putting it in and gave me direction to putting them in. Also I was finding I was bleeding and irritated when it was on. I now use cailvon as it turns out I am allergic to the mAterial the sites use (typical me!) I don't know if that helps but I found the help line so valuable

Hi

Am puzzled about the angle the pods are inserted into the skin at. I always thought that the patch pumps needed to be inserted at a 90 degree angle to work ok. Can you enlighten please as to what the Omnipod nurse said to you?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

Am puzzled about the angle the pods are inserted into the skin at. I always thought that the patch pumps needed to be inserted at a 90 degree angle to work ok. Can you enlighten please as to what the Omnipod nurse said to you?
Different sites on the body require the front of the pump to be directed differently. For example for me I remember via body parts so 90 degree could be right. Tummy to the belly button on the hips towards my spin arms towards me and thigh has never worked for me. Hope that helps. This is just my way of working it

Galen1595

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
happens to me all the time. on the stomach about two inches from the belly button. first time I was actually in the shower when I took off my site and it was bleeding for freaking ever. the only thing I've been able to do is learn the areas and hope I don't hit it again, cuz yeah it really hurts when you hit those areas. :/

Reactions: 2 people