1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Big bleed from Infusion Site

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by LizzieNI, Apr 29, 2015.

1. LizzieNI

LizzieNI Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I thought that myself-why use a luer lock when manufacturing. It's a moot point anyways when Tandem not available in this country.

2. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hello, I am not on a pump, but I just wanted to say I hope you get it sorted out soon and things will start to be less painful and anxious for you.

Take care and all the best RRB x

3. LizzieNI

Do you know of any other good infusion sets in UK?

4. LizzieNI

Awe thanks so much RRB. X

5. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Animas have infusion sets as do advanced Therapeutics, that have luer locks. There are probably more I'm sure others will know :) Advanced T sell the Cleo 90 infusion set and that's great if you want a 90 degree angle.

6. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

@LizzieNI

What Accuchek sets are you using atm?

7. LizzieNI

Well from other replies it seems to be a site fat level issue rather than infusion set thing so going to swap to using my bum rather than change infusion. It was the Roche rep who suggested angled set- he hadn't heard of problem.

8. Fayefaye1429

Fayefaye1429 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Maybe show him these reaponses

9. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

I take it you are using the flexlink?
    Personally I've used 6mm rapids in my bum for the vast majority of time. Other people have mentioned elsewhere on the flexlinks not working so well as the rapids and bigger holes left afterward.

• Like Like x 2
  10. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

I use Tenderlinks in my thighs (13mm) and Rapid D 6mm in my bum (thanks to a suggestion from donnellysdogs). I had been using the Tenderlink 17mm in my bum but was having absorption problems. I was nervous about changing sets to start with, particularly going from the plastic cannula to a metal needle, but I'm very glad I did change now.

And I agree that the plastic cannulas left bigger holes and marks than the metal needles. That surprised me, but it was true for me.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Fayefaye1429

It seems like most pct s favour accu check and Medtronic?

12. LizzieNI

Ha! I try to avoid all contact with him! My dsn suggested talking to him about it but as she'd said he hadn't heard of it I gracefully said no thank you.

13. Fayefaye1429

He he they can be pants. Could you not speak to someone else? Or get a referral to another pct to get different support?

• Like Like x 2
  14. LizzieNI

That is very interesting. I have the 6mm so I'll stick with them. My thighs had terrible absorption prior to recent change to pump so they'll be glad of the rest.

15. LizzieNI

I don't think I even know what rapids are.... That I have 6mm flexlink?......

16. LizzieNI

NI has an awful history of civil servants ordering a stock of pumps without consulting diabetes staff so we're stuck with the same 3 pumps across NI - accuchek, Medtronic & animas. The consumables are ordered for each patient individually from London as consumables have only recently got extra different funding to allow more people access to pumps - lots of complaints were made & negative media. So I could change infusion sets to others on NHS.... I think.... It's a nightmare here.

17. LizzieNI

I think not as he's the accuchek rep for the whole of the island of Ireland. You can tell how limited the nos of pumps here are from that alone.

18. Fayefaye1429

O I am sorry Lizzie. It does seem to be limited in lots of places. I know my pct were generous with a choice of 5 but now it's just one. Would they be open to individual circumstances funding? It can be done in UK but I'm not sure with Ireland. Personally there is one company I'd never go near again and the reason was enough to get me a different type

19. Fayefaye1429

Sorry just read that properly

20. Fayefaye1429

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook