Big haemorrhage

LukeT1

Hi all

I’m 24, I’ve been T1 for nearly 17 years and I’ve been suffering with retinopathy for about 18 months.

I’ve had numerous laser sessions and lucentis injections but still having bleeds.

The doctor has said he doesn’t want to give me anymore laser sessions but has booked me in for avastin injections. I’m wondering what the difference between lucentis and avastin is and will this prevent further bleeding?

How bad does it need to be before a vitrectomy is suggested?

Any advice/information would be really helpful.

Thanks

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome to the forum @LukeT1 Sorry but i don't have any information I can help with here - so tagging 2 others who may be able to provide you with more information @Jaylee @himtoo

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I’m 24, I’ve been T1 for nearly 17 years and I’ve been suffering with retinopathy for about 18 months.

I’ve had numerous laser sessions and lucentis injections but still having bleeds.

The doctor has said he doesn’t want to give me anymore laser sessions but has booked me in for avastin injections. I’m wondering what the difference between lucentis and avastin is and will this prevent further bleeding?

Any advice/information would be really helpful.

Thanks

Hi @LukeT1 ,

Welcome to the forum.
I'm sorry to hear about your recent eye issue.

My personal experience was encouraging with Lucentis & Eylea jabs for macula edema.

I've no idea how bad it needs to get for a vitrectomy..

How is your diabetes managment? (I appreciate it's easier said than done.) decent BG control in conjunction with the treatment , can help..

I'll tag in @Dark Horse , who knows the onions on such matters with the eye. There maybe some input.

LukeT1

Hi @LukeT1 ,

Welcome to the forum.
I'm sorry to hear about your recent eye issue.

My personal experience was encouraging with Lucentis & Eylea jabs for macula edema.

I've no idea how bad it needs to get for a vitrectomy..

How is your diabetes managment? (I appreciate it's easier said than done.) decent BG control in conjunction with the treatment , can help..

I'll tag in @Dark Horse , who knows the onions on such matters with the eye. There maybe some input.

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

My management is up and down. I’ve just had 3 weeks off work due to an operation. So I haven’t really done a lot so my sugars have been a little high. When I’m working my levels are mostly in range being as it’s a physical job.

I really am trying to do everything right and to the best of my knowledge

I know that retinopathy is very unpredictable and there is no way of telling when the next one will be. However it’s very frustrating and stressful

Angey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can’t help with your question but I can tell you that I first haemorrhaged in 1980 when pregnant, and have had various periods of floaters and haemorrhages since then. In the 1990’s I had a vitrectomy following a total loss of sight in one eye. I just wanted to tell you that though daunting, the operation was in fact not frightening at all and I made a full recovery. At my most recent eye check I was told that my eyes are better now than they have been for years. Don’t be afraid whatever is decided with you. Remember eyes can heal and bad times pass. Do what you can ref diabetes but be a human / parent/ person first and a diabetic after that. Very best of luck to you. Am with you in spirit and I hope someone can answer your questions.

LukeT1

Can’t help with your question but I can tell you that I first haemorrhaged in 1980 when pregnant, and have had various periods of floaters and haemorrhages since then. In the 1990’s I had a vitrectomy following a total loss of sight in one eye. I just wanted to tell you that though daunting, the operation was in fact not frightening at all and I made a full recovery. At my most recent eye check I was told that my eyes are better now than they have been for years. Don’t be afraid whatever is decided with you. Remember eyes can heal and bad times pass. Do what you can ref diabetes but be a human / parent/ person first and a diabetic after that. Very best of luck to you. Am with you in spirit and I hope someone can answer your questions.

Hi,

I’m glad that your eyes are better than ever!

For me the doctor hasn’t really mentioned a vitrectomy as yet I just know that’s the next step if things don’t get better.

Did the corrections affect your acuity? Were you able to drive?

Dark Horse

When or whether to have a vitrectomy rather depends on the individual's test results. One indication is a non-clearing vitreous haemorrhage that lasts a few months. However, other changes within the eye may mean that vitrectomy is needed sooner.

The important thing at this stage is to attend all the eye appointments you are given so that if/when treatment is required, it is given at the best time.

This leaflet has some information about Avastin injections:- http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/avastinpatients.htm

Reactions: Struma

Riam D

Hi,
I too have diabetic retinopthy and yday my DR recommended I have the Avastin injection. I have had 6 laser sessions in both eyes but the vessells are still quite aggressive. Has anyone had the Avastin injections and did they work? were there any side affects?

Look forward to your reply

mansingh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hi- that’s nice to hear your eyes are ok now. Did you control your sugars level quite well and what medication are you on?
Thanks