Big Highs after Fasting with Cold ...

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Got a wicked head cold 2 days ago, my BGs were doing fine until last night - woke up this morning and my BG was at 22.4. Didn't eat anything and gave myself 14 units of humulog - 2 hours later I'm down to 17 (at least it's going in the right direction) so I gave another 6 units of humulog just now.

I'll continue to fast and test myself again in another hour and depending on what I test may give yet another shot. Not too concerned - when I get a cold or some other ailment my BGs go wild - usually high of normal not low. This has been a typical BG behavior I've encountered for years - wonder what it's like to be sick without high BGs LOL ...

The funny thing is - if I didn't test myself I'd have no idea that I'm as high as this. I'm not thirsty or peeing a lot, just stuffed up with a head cold.

Hopefully it clears by tomorrow, thankfully I'm seldom sick any longer than a couple of days.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Got a wicked head cold 2 days ago, my BGs were doing fine until last night - woke up this morning and my BG was at 22.4. Didn't eat anything and gave myself 14 units of humulog - 2 hours later I'm down to 17 (at least it's going in the right direction) so I gave another 6 units of humulog just now.

I'll continue to fast and test myself again in another hour and depending on what I test may give yet another shot. Not too concerned - when I get a cold or some other ailment my BGs go wild - usually high of normal not low. This has been a typical BG behavior I've encountered for years - wonder what it's like to be sick without high BGs LOL ...

The funny thing is - if I didn't test myself I'd have no idea that I'm as high as this. I'm not thirsty or peeing a lot, just stuffed up with a head cold.

Hopefully it clears by tomorrow, thankfully I'm seldom sick any longer than a couple of days.

Just tested myself again and I'm now down to 7.7 - that's good! So at 7 am I was 22.4, then at 9:45 am I was 17 and now that it's almost 11 am I'm at 7.7. Interesting thing, over the years I've had a lot of experience getting my BGs down from Highs to Normal - now I have to make sure the BGs don;t run low this afternoon as they might based on past experiences.

The things that some one with diabetes has to do from time to time eh!

Biggest difference now - I'm in a much better mode - I was grumpy this morning but knew enough to realize it was likely the influence of high BGs so I kept quiet and didn't insult any of my co workers ... total unit consumption to get me down to 22.4 to 7.7 - 2 shots totally 20 units of humulog. A normal healthy day I only take 10 units in the morning. Quite a difference thanks to this head cold.