1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Big Highs after Fasting with Cold ...

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by fletchweb, Nov 22, 2017.

1. fletchweb

fletchweb Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Got a wicked head cold 2 days ago, my BGs were doing fine until last night - woke up this morning and my BG was at 22.4. Didn't eat anything and gave myself 14 units of humulog - 2 hours later I'm down to 17 (at least it's going in the right direction) so I gave another 6 units of humulog just now.

I'll continue to fast and test myself again in another hour and depending on what I test may give yet another shot. Not too concerned - when I get a cold or some other ailment my BGs go wild - usually high of normal not low. This has been a typical BG behavior I've encountered for years - wonder what it's like to be sick without high BGs LOL ...

The funny thing is - if I didn't test myself I'd have no idea that I'm as high as this. I'm not thirsty or peeing a lot, just stuffed up with a head cold.

Hopefully it clears by tomorrow, thankfully I'm seldom sick any longer than a couple of days.

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. fletchweb

fletchweb Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Just tested myself again and I'm now down to 7.7 - that's good! So at 7 am I was 22.4, then at 9:45 am I was 17 and now that it's almost 11 am I'm at 7.7. Interesting thing, over the years I've had a lot of experience getting my BGs down from Highs to Normal - now I have to make sure the BGs don;t run low this afternoon as they might based on past experiences.

The things that some one with diabetes has to do from time to time eh!

Biggest difference now - I'm in a much better mode - I was grumpy this morning but knew enough to realize it was likely the influence of high BGs so I kept quiet and didn't insult any of my co workers ... total unit consumption to get me down to 22.4 to 7.7 - 2 shots totally 20 units of humulog. A normal healthy day I only take 10 units in the morning. Quite a difference thanks to this head cold.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook