Prediabetes Binge eating disorder

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Is there anyone else in the forum who has the above condition? If they have overcome it, what worked?
Mine has failed to respond to psychological therapy,and if anything has got worse. My BMI is now in the stratosphere. I'm due another blood test and beginning to have ominous symptoms but I don't want to be seen at my GP surgery while I'm such a mess.I want to be able to show I'm really making an effort. Trouble is, I'm so fat now that exercise is uncomfortable, even short walks.
Not many people understand compulsive binge eating, and that includes medics.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to read this. It must be very uncomfortable for you. I don't have any advice for you, just a sympathetic ear. Is it possible to only have the food you need for the day in the house so that there is nothing to binge on?

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Roly,
Looking at the amount of replies it doesn't seem like anyone so far has been able to offer any help and its probably as you said not many people understand, and I think most people would be loathed to even attempt to offer any advice, probably why there are so few responses, without understanding what your going through.

I just had a quick look at BEAT's website and message boards they seem like a friendly bunch who understand exactly what your going through. https://support.beateatingdisorders.org.uk/app/social/home/

Hope that helps.
:bag:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there anyone else in the forum who has the above condition? If they have overcome it, what worked?
Mine has failed to respond to psychological therapy,and if anything has got worse. My BMI is now in the stratosphere. I'm due another blood test and beginning to have ominous symptoms but I don't want to be seen at my GP surgery while I'm such a mess.I want to be able to show I'm really making an effort. Trouble is, I'm so fat now that exercise is uncomfortable, even short walks.

Hello there, and welcome to the forum.

We do have members who have binge eating issues and are working hard on a daily basis. I'm sure they'll drop by when they see your thread.

Eating disorders are, unfortunately quite common. To my belief, far more common that the medics would have us believe.

You are right though, they aren't too well understood, and because they tend to be very individual in both their root causes and the disordered eating itself, there aren't too many routines or protocols for treatment.

I had an eating disorder many moons ago now, thankfully (thankful it's a long time ago, not thankful I had an ED), but I do understand how difficult it is to deal with disordered eating and make good choices day in day out.

My only other comment I will make on your post is to encourage you to go and be checked out. If you are suffering from ominous symptoms, it's best to get checked out.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I went through a 6mth period of binge eating and drinking when something disastrous happened to my then husband. A form of grief I think, seemed to have triggered it. I stopped taking my studies seriously too. I had a break down. I wasn't diagnosed then but I became huge and I didn't care. I binge ate to try and heal the upset. A nasty shock which I wasn't prepared to have to deal with again voluntarily. I took control and divorced him. I haven't ever needed to heal myself since as I emotionally protect myself. Which is arguable whether mentally healthy too.

Are you in a situation where you have no control or pleasure?

Ironically bariatric surgery programmes filters out eating disorder patients. Luckily I know what would trigger mine but understanding carb cravings gives me the tool to control carbs in my diet and effects on my bgs. To an extent weight loss a little too.

Broomthebeast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just sent you a pm!

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
i suffer from this
i currently cant have food in my house
and have to go out to buy it daily
and have only 1 food left that i can control
and am quickly losing that
i havent found any help in my area and have to
go it alone
but this is a good and supportive place
(this forum and the people)

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't understand binge eating disorders but I might be able to help with the exercise. Can you make an appointment with an exercise physiologist, or physical therapist, or some other medical professional? They may be able to suggest exercises that you are physically capable of performing, or that you can perform more easily than your current routine. Also, as somebody who struggles with exercise (not fat, just blood sugar problems) I can tell you that every little bit counts! Even if you can just manage 10min of walking at once, that's still way better than nothing. Try to exercise in small amounts multiple times throughout the day, it all adds up and in the end you may be surprised how much you can do. Also remember that incidental exercise counts - things like cleaning your house, or walking around the supermarket, or even getting dressed, are all physical activity and have some positive effect. My goal is to do 30min walking every day. Do I manage it on most days? No! But that's not the point, the important thing is putting in the effort, and doing it consistently.

Reactions: Sue192

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hello there, and welcome to the forum.

We do have members who have binge eating issues and are working hard on a daily basis. I'm sure they'll drop by when they see your thread.

Eating disorders are, unfortunately quite common. To my belief, far more common that the medics would have us believe.

You are right though, they aren't too well understood, and because they tend to be very individual in both their root causes and the disordered eating itself, there aren't too many routines or protocols for treatment.

I had an eating disorder many moons ago now, thankfully (thankful it's a long time ago, not thankful I had an ED), but I do understand how difficult it is to deal with disordered eating and make good choices day in day out.

My only other comment I will make on your post is to encourage you to go and be checked out. If you are suffering from ominous symptoms, it's best to get checked out.

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks for your reply. I'm overdue for a blood test, so plan to get that done next week. I've been very much encouraged by the responses I've had so far. It seems to be doing wonders for my motivation already. I weighed myself this morning because I have been avoiding it, and I can't let that go on.

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I don't understand binge eating disorders but I might be able to help with the exercise. Can you make an appointment with an exercise physiologist, or physical therapist, or some other medical professional? They may be able to suggest exercises that you are physically capable of performing, or that you can perform more easily than your current routine. Also, as somebody who struggles with exercise (not fat, just blood sugar problems) I can tell you that every little bit counts! Even if you can just manage 10min of walking at once, that's still way better than nothing. Try to exercise in small amounts multiple times throughout the day, it all adds up and in the end you may be surprised how much you can do. Also remember that incidental exercise counts - things like cleaning your house, or walking around the supermarket, or even getting dressed, are all physical activity and have some positive effect. My goal is to do 30min walking every day. Do I manage it on most days? No! But that's not the point, the important thing is putting in the effort, and doing it consistently.
I've discovered that there are something called health trainers in the area where I live, so I am going to contact them to see what help they can offer.
I'll also take on board your advice about exercising in small chunks. The problem with me is that my goals and expectations seem to be invariably unrealistic. I want to achieve everything at once which of course is impossible.
I'm trying to put into practice my aim to complete one action every day to improve my health and motivation. Reading and replying to people like you who have been kind enough to share ideas has started the ball rolling.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great to hear that you are feeling more positive. A small step in the right direction is all it takes to start with. I sometimes lose motivation and am so bored with the few things I can eat that I have a few days where I don't stich to my diet but I do manage to give myself a ticking off and stop. Good luck.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've discovered that there are something called health trainers in the area where I live, so I am going to contact them to see what help they can offer.
I'll also take on board your advice about exercising in small chunks. The problem with me is that my goals and expectations seem to be invariably unrealistic. I want to achieve everything at once which of course is impossible.
I'm trying to put into practice my aim to complete one action every day to improve my health and motivation. Reading and replying to people like you who have been kind enough to share ideas has started the ball rolling.
Just dropped in to say that I had a binge eating disorder years ago and because I was diabetic did get help like the stuff you mentioned. It may just take a little momentum to get going and build upon. Exercise should be looked at as an emotional therapy rather than as a weight oriented thing I would say - an act of self care with bonus endorphins/seretonin! I hope you find a good coach! If not PM me for suggestions (I am a PT based in Surrey).
I do not think you should think about weight loss just yet. I had to treat my depression first then give myself permission to eat in public and to love my body enough to put good stuff into it without the added pressure of restriction. I imagine your weight will find its right level once you do that in any case. It wasn't a linear journey and I did lapse many times. I now get no relief/pleasure/feeling of self loathing from those overeating behaviours and if you had told me this 20 years ago I would never have believed it!

Reactions: Broomthebeast

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, there,
So sorry to read your problems.
I do not have an eating disorder, but the symptoms I had before diagnosis, have given me a bit of experience in dealing with similar symptoms.
I had cravings, hunger, a desire to actually eat food I shouldn't or like. I would trawl the fridge, the freezer, the cupboards, fruit bowl, wanting to devour anything that would fit in my mouth. Including the aforementioned appliances.
Even after eating, I would want more and would eat food leftovers on other people's plates! (Disgusting, I know!)
But those were symptoms of my condition.
I am in no way saying you have anything but an eating disorder.

My problems were because of fluctuations in my blood glucose levels, with high circulating insulin and hyperinsulinaemia. Then Hypoglycaemia.
This would trigger the brain to respond to protect the glucose it needed to function, by getting me to feel hungry, despite my knowing this, despite knowing that I have eaten too much, despite my will power trying to stop eating. I would give in to the craving for carbs especially during the evening. I put on a lot of weight, I became really ill, unknowingly what was going on, my GPs kept telling me, it was my diagnosis of T2 diabetes, which I didn't!

This as my experience.

How did I stop the craving, eating too much and so on?
The first was as has already been suggested, you get rid of the temptation, empty your cupboards, fridge, freezer, shop every day, only buying your next couple of meals.
The second is more important, start lowering your carbs, it is the carbs that made me hungry, by eating more saturated or full fat foods particularly dairy, this satiated me more, and is lower in carbs and sugar than low fat foods.
Going low carb, helped reduce my insulin levels, it is the high circulating insulin that helps the weight gain. Too much insulin is converted into bodily fat, especially visceral fat.

Going low carb, and if you can, maintaining stable blood glucose levels, helped me, get rid of the symptoms. I'm never hungry, I don't have to eat much. I lost weight!

Hope this helps

Reactions: Sue192

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Sorry to read this. It must be very uncomfortable for you. I don't have any advice for you, just a sympathetic ear. Is it possible to only have the food you need for the day in the house so that there is nothing to binge on?
Hi Arab Horse
Sorry I missed your response, have had a bit of trouble navigating the site. The problem is I get panicky if I don't have much food in the house, and will go out to get some even if it involves cost and inconvenience. The urge to binge is as strong as the urge a drug addict has to use their drug of choice.That's what makes it hard, as we all need a certain amount of food to keep us healthy.
However I am feeling more optimistic due to the support I have received.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"I am feeling more optimistic due to the support I have received."
That is good to hear. I know how hard it can be. I have never had an eating disorder but mt husband eats all the things I can't and leaves biscuits, chocolate etc all over the place and sometimes I can't stop myself from eating them. It is usually when I am stressed about something. The important thing is not to dwell on it or more stress, more bad eating etc. Just put it behind you and try even harder.
It is a diffuclt road to travel but the alternative is not good!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @rolypolypudding
I think that your comment about exercise expectations was interesting, about wanting to do it all at once. It sounds like you might be goal driven so perhaps drawing up a plan e.g 5 minutes of walking each day for a week and system of non-food rewards could help - then you have acheived something.