1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Bio-Availability of Metformin SR & Metformin

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by Mafat, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Mafat

Mafat · Well-Known Member

Wondering if anyone can educate me on Bio-Availability of Metformin SR & Metformin especially while fasting & during feeding window.The feeding window last for four hours & I take Metformin SR with first bite & my last bite would be after three & half hours later.I presume that Metformin will still remain active & control the blood sugar level throughout feeding window & beyond.

Mafat

2. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Metformin does not act on individual meals and blood glucose spikes. It works longterm to reduce blood glucose and reduce insulin resistance. The reason it is eaten with food is that food reduces the amount of stomach upset the tablet may cause.

You may find this video interesting.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mafat

Mafat · Well-Known Member

Brunneria-

Thanks so much.Thanks indeed. It answers my questions..................

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook