Bioimpedance and FreeStyle Libre

Jack_br

Hi,

Is it safe to make bioimpedance while using FreeStyle Libre?

I mean, will the biompedance results be jammed because of the metal parts of FreeStyle Libre?

Thanks

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you need to provide more information about what you mean by bioimpedance, there are over 20 different applications that could apply. Is it the simple step on weighing scales doing lean body mass, or equipment like TENS, or a Fitbit or Glucowatch? Or is it more like ECG scans, or neurological sensory equipment in a medical application? I would imagine it could be a problem with MRI or CT scanners.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I have recently been allowed to have a CT scan and an x-ray (chest and abdomen) while wearing a Libre.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I have recently been allowed to have a CT scan and an x-ray (chest and abdomen) while wearing a Libre.
I thought you were meant to take it off for CT or MRI scan. More feedback from other users would be very useful to all members.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought you were meant to take it off for CT or MRI scan. More feedback from other users would be very useful to all members.
https://www.freestyle.abbott/us-en/safety-information.html

Presume this will apply to UK models too. Interesting that there is no similar contraindication regarding airport scanners especially the new RF body scanners,

Remove sensor if undergoing X-Ray treatment or diagnosis (and at airports or railway stations with x-.ray scanners). Not mentioned is what to do when undergoing radiation treatment for cancer.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Presume this will apply to UK models too. Interesting that there is no similar contraindication regarding airport scanners especially the new RF body scanners,

Remove sensor if undergoing X-Ray treatment or diagnosis (and at airports or railway stations with x-.ray scanners). Not mentioned is what to do when undergoing radiation treatment for cancer.
Abbott says the effect of CT or MRI scans on sensors has not been evaluated! Why on earth not? Isn’t it a medical device used by thousands of people?

Jack_br

I think you need to provide more information about what you mean by bioimpedance, there are over 20 different applications that could apply. Is it the simple step on weighing scales doing lean body mass, or equipment like TENS, or a Fitbit or Glucowatch? Or is it more like ECG scans, or neurological sensory equipment in a medical application? I would imagine it could be a problem with MRI or CT scanners.
Hi, I am talking about weighing scales doing lean body mass. Scales like that has sensors where a weak eletric current flows through the body and the voltage is measured in order to calculate impedance (resistance) of the body. The biompedance scales manual says you can not perform the procedure wearing any metal acessory.

Jack_br

So, is it necessary to remove FreeStyle Libre at airport scanners?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I am talking about weighing scales doing lean body mass. Scales like that has sensors where a weak eletric current flows through the body and the voltage is measured in order to calculate impedance (resistance) of the body. The biompedance scales manual says you can not perform the procedure wearing any metal acessory.
Firstly, if we consider the conduction path involved, the current passes mainly up one leg, across the torso, and down the other leg. If you wear the sensor on an arm, then it is outside of the conduction path and will have minimum impact on the readings. The second consideration, these scales are not considered to be the epitome of accuracy and really only work when using trend analysis rather than spot checks. So again it is not likely you will notice any difference.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, is it necessary to remove FreeStyle Libre at airport scanners?
Dunno, and it is unlikely that Abbott has an answer either. Question, if the sensor can be damaged by such force fields, then it matters not if it is plumbed into your arm or carried in the luggage that gets scanned even if you don't: it will be zapped. Thus I suspect that although it is not proven to be safe or otherwise, there would be small risk of damage to the sensor itself. What may be affected is more likely to be the electronics doing the measuring which may suffer interference effects and temporarily give a bum reading.

However, it seems these guys may have more experience of this than moi
https://www.ottawahospital.on.ca/en...ing-cgm-device-freestyle-libre-medical-tests/