biscuits anyone?

bedshaped2000

just thought id let any one whoose intrested i have found a low carb low sugar biscuit at my local supermarket. they are foxs moos malted biscuit and they have 5.9g of carb and 1.7g of sugar per biscuit. i have been using these to get out of trouble if im running very low between meals and i have found they hardly raise blood sugars for myself and get me to the next meal without a significant blood spike or rise

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Yep, pretty much a good thing for that 'small carby snack' we talk about here to stabilise levels, especially after treating a hypo. You can eat most biscuits providing you are aware of the carb content, these actually have 66.7g carbs per 100g and many wouldn't touch them because of that, but as you found one or two at a time isn't going to harm you unless you are on an ultra low carb diet. Less than 50g of carbs per day.

We are talking about the Glycaemic Load here, portion size. Allows me to eat things which others think are taboo...... :D Does involve plenty of willpower though.......

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hint of pickle flavoured Cheddars are nice, about 1.9g per biscuit but they do need serious willpower!!
Angie

bedshaped2000

i have found an even lower carb biscuit this weekend. they are crawfords morning coffee 3.9g of carb per biscuit with 0.9 sugars

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Even lower at 3.5g per biscuit is Sainsbury's own brand version of these Morning Coffee Biscuits.

We don't bother with 'sugars.' ? They are just 'added sugars' to sweeten, but what we need to look at is the overall carb content which actually includes the 'added sugars'. That (TC) is what has the greatest effect on Bg levels. If people only look at 'sugars' it can be very misleading ( as I am sure you don't) ........ :|

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Glad to hear it ! :D I was on a Diabetes Course recently and they kept telling people "look at the sugar content" when checking labels, no mention of carb content at all........needless to say the DSN and I had a rather heated debate about the advice they 'should' be giving out........ :twisted: :lol:

bedshaped2000

the last course i was on there was a lady boasting on how shed given up coke and now has water with roses lime juice. Boy was she shocked when i told her she may have aswell of diluted the water with coke :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
How about this one then.......a very nice lady T2 who brought in a home made 'sugar free' cake ???

Intrigued by this statement I asked what the constituent ingredients were ? From memory :

Eggs
Flour (Brown)
2 Weetabix
Dried Fruit
Ginger
Honey

Splenda

She was rather taken aback when I asked how she worked out it was 'sugar free' and if she knew the carb content ? Her reply......"Well, I don't add any sugar to it"........ :shock:

I did try some and it was very nice......but 'sugar free'.......NO WAY ! :lol: