Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Hi,

I am in the middle of a metformin crisis - old hands will know what I mean. I have spent the last two hours on the throne, sore tummy, feeling pretty washed out.

Metformin and I have a bit of a love hate relationship. My blood sugar loves it, my tummy hates it. This has been a problem since I was diagnosed. I have tried everything ordinary or SR, spreading out doses, taking them during meals...the lot, it seems I just cannot tolerate it.

My doctor has given me a new pill to try, Canaglifloxin. It does the necessary, but my diet is very very restricted if I am just managing on that. I have to stay extremely low carb. This is something I can do for a while, but then I get cravings for just a little something sweet, or maybe a beer or a glass of wine when out with friends.

Just having a whinge and feeling sorry for myself, I know what I have to do, it's just a pain.

I asked my doc if insulin was a possibility, but he says that it is way too early on to be even thinking of that.

Fortunately I bought a new pair of walking boots today, think I am going to need them.

A very fed-up,

Prov

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Ah sorry to hear that, I thought metformin might help me so tried it for a while and really couldn't stomach it, became a washing machine every time I took it.. Definately get the boots on and if you have a smart phone then download a fitness app like Strava to track your walks and record your distances, being outside at the moment is definately the place to be ;)

plutoniumcard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe someone needs to write an APP for phones that identifies where public toilets are...helpful with tummy upsets! Downside might be misuse of the APP for less savoury activities?
JuicyJ is right though...I have found that exercise helps. I use a basic Fitbit tracker (you can get free apps for the mobile phone too.). Walking is good too...I set my goal at 10,000 steps per day (approx. 5 miles).
Hope all settles down soon.

Reactions: 2 people

terryhudson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi had the same problem with the dreaded Metformin tried the slow release one wow even worse
Returned to the old Metformin and just put up with it and now I seem to be ok (Touch wood)
So please just persevere and see what happens.
I am sure you will get there in the end.
By the way you may need a pair of bicycle clips with those now boots. oops

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Ah sorry to hear that, I thought metformin might help me so tried it for a while and really couldn't stomach it, became a washing machine every time I took it.. Definately get the boots on and if you have a smart phone then download a fitness app like Strava to track your walks and record your distances, being outside at the moment is definately the place to be ;)

Sod work, I am off to the allotment as soon as this washing machine of a tummy calms down, got a space to clear, that will probably help. I have map my walk and a fitbit, they are always great fun. Thanks for the kind advice.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I wish I could leave work too :( Have a great day, fresh air works wonders for the mind and soul :)

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Maybe someone needs to write an APP for phones that identifies where public toilets are...helpful with tummy upsets! Downside might be misuse of the APP for less savoury activities?
JuicyJ is right though...I have found that exercise helps. I use a basic Fitbit tracker (you can get free apps for the mobile phone too.). Walking is good too...I set my goal at 10,000 steps per day (approx. 5 miles).

Dear Let's Cook, Great idea about the app. Got a friend who writes them..might suggest it - I may have to wade my way through junkies and romancers, but at least I would get to the loo.

My steps are at about 6,000 per day, by the looks of things I need to get that up. I think I shall get to work on that immediately.

Thanks for making me laugh.

Prov.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Hi had the same problem with the dreaded Metformin tried the slow release one wow even worse
Returned to the old Metformin and just put up with it and now I seem to be ok (Touch wood)
So please just persevere and see what happens.
I am sure you will get there in the end.
By the way you may need a pair of bicycle clips with those now boots. oops

Lol you can always tell the posts from blokes...they are the ones about corks and bicycle clips. LOL I may try to return to the old metformin. Going to have a few days on the cangliflozin then give it another go. It is good to hear that the dreaded metformin can be trained.

Prov

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin does affect different people different ways when my husband started on it he had constipation for about 2 weeks then that settled and no problems since and he is on 1000mg twice a day of the standard one. When I started on it mine was bad indigestion and so bloated I thought I would explode. My doctor put me on the SR one and tried 1000mg twice a day but still got bloated so she put the dose down to 500mg twice a day and that seems to be the dose my system is happiest with. Just glad we never had the diarrhoea that must be awful

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Metformin does affect different people different ways when my husband started on it he had constipation for about 2 weeks then that settled and no problems since and he is on 1000mg twice a day of the standard one. When I started on it mine was bad indigestion and so bloated I thought I would explode. My doctor put me on the SR one and tried 1000mg twice a day but still got bloated so she put the dose down to 500mg twice a day and that seems to be the dose my system is happiest with. Just glad we never had the diarrhoea that must be awful

Dear Pink, I am so glad that it all settled down again - I have not had the bloating thing but it sounds pretty horrid. Going to take one with my dinner tonight, right in the middle. This is one thing I havent tried for any great length of time....yet. It's worth a try because metformin is great for my blood sugar. Been out walking as suggested by some of the others, so let's see.

Prov.

Reactions: 4 people

Sheila_Jane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi There is an app called the 'Great British Toilet maps' I have it on my phone as I have Crohns disease as well as type 2., it gives you every public toilet in every town where ever you are, hope this helps, Sheila

plutoniumcard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sheila

Thanks for the info. I guess that gives downloading a whole new meaning?

Cheers

Tony

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Hi There is an app called the 'Great British Toilet maps' I have it on my phone as I have Crohns disease as well as type 2., it gives you every public toilet in every town where ever you are, hope this helps, Sheila

That's brilliant Sheila Jane, not only would I find that useful while the metformin is playing me up, but my husband would appreciate it too. :)

Prov

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Maybe someone needs to write an APP for phones that identifies where public toilets are...helpful with tummy upsets!
LOVE IT! although I don't think any toilet can be near enough when I think of some of the emergencies I have experienced. Metformin turned me into a real life hermit, the excuses I made for not going out, UNBELIEVABLE. All made worse by the smug attitude of the GP I had at the time and the idiot endocrinologist I'd seen.
The only reason I'm not in the same state while still on Metformin is I take cocodomol, not a recommended remedy for the runs, but . . . . . .

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
LOVE IT! although I don't think any toilet can be near enough when I think of some of the emergencies I have experienced. Metformin turned me into a real life hermit, the excuses I made for not going out, UNBELIEVABLE. All made worse by the smug attitude of the GP I had at the time and the idiot endocrinologist I'd seen.
The only reason I'm not in the same state while still on Metformin is I take cocodomol, not a recommended remedy for the runs, but . . . . . .

I have been known to do the same! :) It's either that or no social life.

Echob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am newly diagnosed with t2, tried dieting for 3 months, didn't work, have just recently started on metformin Sr. (Due to ibs) had terrible stomach issues at first but take loperamide 0nce or twice a day and mebeverine once a day (these are meds on prescription from gp, you can get them over counter but they are quite expensive) and have been able to tolerate metformin much better, I don't know if this is just typical to me or would work for others.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
I am newly diagnosed with t2, tried dieting for 3 months, didn't work, have just recently started on metformin Sr. (Due to ibs) had terrible stomach issues at first but take loperamide 0nce or twice a day and mebeverine once a day (these are meds on prescription from gp, you can get them over counter but they are quite expensive) and have been able to tolerate metformin much better, I don't know if this is just typical to me or would work for others.

Thanks Echob, I have had Ioperamide, but not the mebeverine. Will ask about that at the next visit to the docs, thanks.

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I have just such an app on my iphone ;) I couldnt do without it (and the radar key) as I have IBS on top of the metformin side effects etc...

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Try loperamide (Immodium) for the runs.... although any form of codeine does cause constipation ;)