1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Arrived here after watching The Truth About Carbs? Join the Low Carb Program for meal plans & 10 weeks of simple steps into your new lifestyle.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Bitter Melon and Cinnamon herbal pills

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments' started by MKD75, Oct 23, 2017.

1. MKD75

MKD75 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi

Does anyone use bitter melon at cinnamon herbal pills from Holland and Barrett? Do they work or help lower blood?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Contralto

Contralto Other · Expert

I take cinnamon capsule from another manufacturer and I eat bitter melon from time to time. It adds a certain flavor to Pakistani cuisine. Usually when I get the bitter melong, I buy it fresh and use it up over a few days, and I gotta say that it has not had an appreciable effect on the glucose readings

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. stayintherace04

stayintherace04 Type 2 · Newbie

I've tried Bitter Mellon and it not for women that are menopausal as it triggers the cycle to begin again(ughhhh). So I've been researching alternative medicine and everything I searched pointed to Ginger Turmeric and Cinninamon.
    Long story short I began consuming fresh squeezed ginger root, turmeric powder and freshly ground Cinninamon. Over time I saw my blood sugar go from 354 down to 97. I am working on my diet, and the best times to drink it. Today about 12 noon I mix it up but this time I drank it warm. I tested before I drank it i was at 354. I waited a hour after I drank it and tested again I was at 252.
    So this stuff really works I just have to get timing right. I haven't taken medicine in about 4 months so it is these things that are lowering my blood sugar.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. kokhongw

kokhongw I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. MKD75

I’ve been using Swanson cinnamon tablets and they are amazing for lowering BS after a meal.. especially after a high carb/treat meal! Had chip shop chips last night as my weekly treat, tested 2 hours later and BS was 12.4!!! Took 2 cinnamon tablets and half an hour later BS was 5.4! Amazed! Week before had spag Bol with bread and pasta and BS was normal again in a few hours. Hoping it has an effect on my a1c test in January.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Alamode

Alamode Type 2 · Member

I have been eating Bitter Melon with every evening meal and It tends to lower my after meal reading to lower than my before meal reading e.g. Tonight I had Chicken curry, bitter melon curry, spinach and Dahl curry and beetroot curry so my plate was full, before my meal 6.2 two hours after my meal my reading was only 5.4

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Contralto

Contralto Other · Expert

I don't know how you can squeeze a ginger root, but when I can get the turmeric and ginger roots super fresh, usually at a Korean or Chinese store, first thing I check for is whether I can break parts off of the roots, so I know they are fresh. I choose dry pieces on the outside and when I get them home, I wrap whatever I am not using in loose paper towel and keep it in the fridge.

I get these very sharp paring knives from Republic of China at a dollar store and after getting the size chunk I need, I pare the outside skin off the root and let this thin skin dry. After the skins dry, I cut them into tiny pieces with scissors and put them in a small glass jar. These I use for tea or broth, boiling the bejeebers out of the skin and water to kill off whatever but leaving a lid on to preserve the trace elements.

I use a micro-plane grater to grate the roots themselves and use in dishes.I do this over glass in case there is any great liquid. You will notice fibers running lengthwise through these roots and also galanga root, which has a milder flavor than ginger and its own health benefits. Keep leftovers of what you grate also in a small glass jar (like vitamins come in sometimes or a small condiment jar)

The outside skins work well with hibiscus for tea

I use the dried stuff only when desperate.

8. bangkokdiabetic

bangkokdiabetic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In Thailand Ginger is in lots of dishes so I do not use it on its own I buy Ceylonese Cinnamon in powder form and sprinkle it over various dishes (trial & error only very small quantities so as not to overpower dishes.) the thing I notice is that after persisting for several months my B.S. levels became much more consistent ie before might be 95mg/dl at 7am day 1 110 day 2 80 day 3 112 day 4 since using Ceylonese cinnamon no between 93 & 95 mg/dl now I do get the occasional spike but can trace this back to something I ate the night before I cant say it lowered my B.S on its own because like all of us exercise food choices stress etc. Come into play but a more level level is some thing I notice

I read somewhere that Ceylonese Cinnamon lowers your BS but the cheaper cinnamon from china (made from a different tree bark does not.......don't know which is n tablets mentioned above....Maybe just good marketing has anyone else heard this ???

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hawkey

Hawkey Type 1 · Member

Hi, that’s very interesting, I’ve heard about cinnamon.So do you take them only after a high reading or on a regular basis ? I’m newly diagnosed type 1 .

• Like Like x 3
  10. Olufisayo

Olufisayo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’ve heard about cinnamon. I even bought the powdered one and I use it often alongside ginger n garlic. I don’t know if I bought the original one because I learned the ceylonese type was the best.

11. Olufisayo

Olufisayo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Gratefully grateful for all the replies!

12. MKD75

Sorry for late reply! Wasn’t aware of had replies? I take 2 pills 3 times a day and in 3 months my cholesterol has gone from 5.7 to 4.9 and a1c from 51 to 48. I don’t take the bitter melon white as often now, just the cinnamon

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook