Bitter melon extract

Manogwent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
carling lager
Hi,everybody,just wondered if anyone had used this to lower blood sugar levels and if so how much were they taking? i seem to continually have a problem with high levels in am and can't seem to get them down. was going to ask GP about Victoza as my last Hba1c came back 6.8 and cholesterol 3.8.
Saw an article in daily express which referred to effects on cancer but also mentioned about dropping BG's and cholesterol. soif anyone has taken this can you please let me know,best regards,manogwent :D

Reactions: 2 people

raydavies

I don't know about this product, but if you read the Express and the Mail headlines each day, within a month you would have a cure for every known disease!

Ray

Manogwent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
carling lager
Possibly, it seemed quite an informative article and was explaining about the effect this extract had on cancer cells. think you should read it b4 passing comments like that. they were not discussing the extract as acure for diabetes,just mentioned that it was used in other countries as an alternative to meds which is why i was asking if anyone had used it and obviously you had not lmpao :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

raydavies

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. It's just that these headlines annoy me by giving false hope to those who don't read to the bottom of the article where the caveats lurk.

I wonder how long it will take Holford to rush out a pill?

Another, more sober article is here:

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2009/03March/Pag ... -test.aspx

So many of these in vitio tests make headlines but are, of course, meaningless. Domestic bleach would kill cancer cells in a test tube but...

Ray

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
I was prescribed Momordica, bitter melon, by a naturopath before I was diagnosed with diabetes and she told me that it was much used in India for diabetes. Basically this is because there is not the access to medication and they use what they have available to them. She also warned that it was something not to be used lightly as it has hypoglycaemic properties and it should not be used without your doctor’s full knowledge.

I did not take it as I prefer not to take anything unless it is unavoidable.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I tried it - a search for kerala fround 3 of my posts.
IanD » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:40 pm

I live in Southall, so I can buy them (karela) fresh - needed about one every day to get a tablespoon of juice. I then tried karela tablets from the health store. Within 3 weeks a background muscle problem became painful & my BS drifted up. I've got the rest of the bottle if you want to try it free.

It may be a coincidence, but if you mispell & google "kerala diabetes", you will discover that the Indian state has a diabetes epidemic.

I regoogled & found this forum & my own comments (as Ebenezer.)

Just reduce carb - You know it makes sense. And you know what you are ingesting.
Last week I visited an Indian friend whose inlaws are visiting from Punjab. THey are controlling their diabetes with home grown herbals including karela. The m-i-l apparently was on insulin, but is now only on the home remedy. They showed me them - looked like rabbit droppings. I wasn't tempted. Their English wasn't good enough to pursue the matter.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Some years ago bitter melon (aka karela) was being touted as very beneficial to diabetics and great for lowering blood sugar. I tried a 3 month course of karela capsules about 4 years ago - they had no effect whatsoever. Soon after I tried them I remember seeing several articles saying that research had shown the claims to be exaggerated. So now they are being touted as beneficial for cancer. And when that is found to be untrue, what then - a cure for Parkinsons perhaps?

IMO they probably are very beneficial for one group of people - the ones who make a great deal of money selling them under false claims.

Learn from my mistake and don't waste your money.