1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Black Coffee

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Tankie1rtr, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Tankie1rtr

Tankie1rtr Type 2 · Member

Hi All.
    Can anybody please tell me if Black Coffee is bad for Diabetics T2 on Insulin. Caffinated & De Caffinated.
    Thanks
    Tankie

2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Love my esspresso. I take it with double cream because the skinnier the milk the higher the carbs. Go decaff if you want to. When I first started out, I found that tea spiked me. I couldn't stand full fat milk in tea and always used SS. Got my A1c down from 122 to 35 doing keto in 4 months. A few months after that, I tried a cuppa with SS, no spike. So everyone is different, all you can do is eat/drink and test.

And, unfortunately, soya milk is disgusting to my taste.

3. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I don't believe black coffee is bad for any type of diabetic - it has no carbs - though mine has cream in it...

4. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Black coffee isn’t bad but some have experienced that coffee does spike their blood sugar. Again we are all different, for me personally I do need the tiniest amount of insulin for it. I like it with plant based milk, vegan cream and sweeteners.

5. Pasha

Pasha Prediabetes · Expert

We are all different, test to your meter and you will find out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I do not need insulin, but I drink full strength black coffee with no sugar / sweeteners in it.

7. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

What do you mean by "bad"?
    Too much caffeine can be bad.
    Some methods of removing caffeine can be carcinogenic so if you drink too much of that, it could be bad.
    Some people with diabetes find coffee raises their BG but if you are on insulin you can dose for it to avoid the spike.
    Some people with diabetes find coffee has no impact on their BG.

If it is the bg spike that concerns you, the only way to tell if you experience it with coffee is to test. As with all things diabetes related, we are all different.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook