"Black dot" in vision

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Has or does anyone experience a black dot in their vision at anytime?
Could this be correlated to blood sugars rising / dropping i.e. a symptom? Obviously i'll have to test my BS to confirm but was wondering if this is a typical experience?
I've been experiencing a black dot at work around mid morning to lunch time. Can't test my BS at work as i'm too busy and haven't experienced this at home yet normally recovering from a run / bike ride at this time.

My BS is between 4.4 and 5.5 in the mornings , if it is BS rising could this be delayed dawn phenomenon?

I'm still eating All Bran for breakfast with water instead of milk as i haven't find a good low carb breakfast yet.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Everyone diabetic or not can experience black dots in their vision, these are normally dead tissue cells floating about in the vision that are usually harmless but having diabetes there could be other explanations.

A black streak in your vision followed by a cluster of black dots could mean that you've had a small bleed in the eye and the blood is dispersing, as I say with you having diabetes and an Hba1c of 10 it's probably worth your while having your eyes fully examined just to be on the safe side.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Thanks for the answer. I intend to get my eyes examined , just horrendous waiting lists here so could take 3-4 months.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Cblake843 said:
Thanks for the answer. I intend to get my eyes examined , just horrendous waiting lists here so could take 3-4 months.

Go to your GP who should be able to give you a brief examination and refer you over to the hospital if he thinks you need to be seen.

johnny37

I had a grey dot and it turned out to be maculopathy (retinopathy but on the macular, the focal point on the retina). You should be getting regular eye checks to spot any diabetic changes. If you are having problems getting a referral make an urgent appointment with your optician who can look at your retina and refer you if necessary to your local hospital eye department. Your GP doesnt have the equipment to do this but he can also make an urgent appointment for you. It is important you are seen straight away, not in 3-4 months. It may be harmless floaters but you must get it checked.

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Don't know what you mean by a "black dot", but if you mean an area of missing or distorted vision, I get this occasionally, and its a form of migraine; no pain or nausea, but an area in which I can't see distinctly, or vision is "twisted" somehow. In my case it can happen if I've had too much rich (fatty, creamy etc) food.

Elc1112

I get black dots in my vision when my sugars are low, especially if they have dropped slowly. As others have said, though, it's worth getting your eyes tested just in case. If you go to your doctors you should be able to see somebody a lot quicker than three to four months.

As for being too busy to test your blood sugars at work, you're really telling me that you can't spare the whole five seconds that it takes to do a test?! I'm sorry, but I just don't buy that. What do you do?! I have an incredibly busy job, but always have the time to test my sugars and look after my diabetes!

scottishbrian

if its there all the tme. i started off with small black dot until i could barely see out my eyes for them. I had to undergo intensive laser surgery on the back of my eye to fix this and defnitely not a pleasant experience!!!