1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Bleeding after injection

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by emilyj17, Sep 22, 2017.

1. emilyj17

emilyj17 Type 1 · Member

Good morning!

After doing my breakfast injection in my stomach this morning there was quite a big blob of blood (maybe I pinched too hard?) and now there's a little bruise. Sometimes I do get little specks but I've never had anything like that before.

Maybe a silly question, but I'm worried my insulin won't have absorbed?

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey @emilyj17 It's a rare event but you hit a blood vessel this morning, your insulin should be fine, however do test to put your mind at rest in an hour say :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. emilyj17

emilyj17 Type 1 · Member

Ahh ok, thank you!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Circuspony

Circuspony Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I did this not long after I started injecting. Insulin still worked ok, but I ended up with a nasty bruise on my leg.

5. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

i still do this occasionally myself but just keep an eye on bgs although mine have always been ok its that little bit of reassurance and piece of mind for yourself x hope alls well x

6. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Interesting you say you pinched. I was told it was unnecessary to pinch. Having said that I often hit blood vessels. Have spots of blood here there and everywhere!! Suggestions on getting them out would be helpful.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook