Blood coming out on application

TheBadOne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, so I have a problem and my doctor isn't answering. I was wondering if something like this ever happend to anyone here. It happens on application. (shown in picture below) I read that small bleeds are normal when taking the set off. (Does that mean on application is fine too?) I started putting my infusion set on my arm just shy of 3 weeks ago. I am on vacation and stupidly I just brought small needled sets (and havent tried to put them on at home first to check them out, but I lucked out I guess and the sets don't bend on application, wheew).
IMG-20190725-WA0000.jpeg

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve sometimes hit a blood vessel and had a leak, yeah. I find insulin tends to work faster in a bleeder as it’s going straight into the vascular system rather than being absorbed in tissue.

Reactions: TheBadOne

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I put my pump sensors on my abdomen but have had similar bleed with the fsl sensor. I think I just hit a bruise and it did not stop the sensor working and I guess it won't occlude your pump tube either. Time to find a different site next I guess though.

Reactions: TheBadOne

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Once in a rare while when I've taken off my pod I've noticed blood was there. A couple of times with the Libre they oozed too out the middle hole. They always worked fine.

Suz2

I was on blood thinners for a year after heart surgery and had this problem the entire time. First the sensor. The bood would occasionally foul the transmitter to the point I had to change it out. The company, Dexcom, always replaced fouled sensors and the transmitter worked fine after cleaning with alcohol.
The pump catheter also bled, but it did not affect the performance of the continuous infusion. The company did say to be careful because if the catheter was putting insulin directly into the blood stream I could experience unusual lows. That never happened. Off the blood thinners and the bleeding is no longer a problem.