Blood glucose control related to hormonal changes

heenh1

Hi there, I'm a diabetes research nurse in New Zealand and writing a case study paper for a post grad course I'm doing. My subject with type 1 alluded to the fact that her blood glucose control was erratic most of the time no matter what she tried, however was very stable for about four days immediately after her period. It would appear there is not much research to confirm this, so wondered if this was a common phenomen related to the hormonal changes during this time. Would really appreciate your comments on your experience. Thanks :)

Insulin_Hippo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there. I definitely find my blood sugars are harder to keep stable during that time of the month. They also start to become more erratic leading up to it but quickly settle down after. Hope this helps. Good luck with the paper! Be interesting to know what you find!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

heenh1

Thanks so much for that - so would you say you have on average two weeks of reasonably predictable control and then two weeks of control that makes no sense?

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I definitely find my bg control is majorly effected by hormonal changes. I can go through periods of pretty much perfect control then the hormones kick in, Usually I would go higher coming on to a period then afterwards I would drop lower. Timings can vary loads though thanks to the 2 separate uterus' and the duplicated ovaries with PCOS. I can go anywhere from having a period of unsettled control for up to a year to just a few days. I never know which way it will go, but on the plus side I can also go for up to a year with perfect control as well and no periods. There's not very much research out there about it which is a shame as that means there's not very much support or knowledge to help people cope with the effects. I've tried numerous types of contraception's but the extra hormones have all just seemed to make control a lot worse for me. Being on a pump has helped loads with this erratic control and I'm hoping to get a cgm for Christmas which will help even more.

Marfmama

The week before and during my period my sugar levels are significantly lower, I have a lot more hypos during this time. My sugars aren't perfect anyway but I definitely notice a difference during those two weeks!

heenh1

Thanks all, it must be incredibly frustrating unless you have a cycle that goes like clock work. You are right about there not being much research out there. The papers I have read can't decide what the cause is, however they do admit it happens. Some even have talked about catamenia DKA which is DKA related to pre-menstrual blood glucose rises. Interestingly also, as you folk have mentioned, not everyone goes high before their period, some have hypo's. It's fascinating how differently our bodies respond and I guess for consultants frustrating that everyone doesn't fit into the same easy mold!
Cheers all from earthquake central!

Insulin_Hippo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
heenh1 said:
Thanks so much for that - so would you say you have on average two weeks of reasonably predictable control and then two weeks of control that makes no sense?
Something like that yeah. Al though the length of time I spend chaotic or normal will vary month to month

sky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
fracking-nuclear-artic drilling- genetically modified foods-monsanto-mega dairies
heenh1 said:
Thanks all, it must be incredibly frustrating unless you have a cycle that goes like clock work. You are right about there not being much research out there. The papers I have read can't decide what the cause is, however they do admit it happens. Some even have talked about catamenia DKA which is DKA related to pre-menstrual blood glucose rises. Interestingly also, as you folk have mentioned, not everyone goes high before their period, some have hypo's. It's fascinating how differently our bodies respond and I guess for consultants frustrating that everyone doesn't fit into the same easy mold!
Cheers all from earthquake central!
i have been told that there is this connection of pcos, hysterectomy=hormonal changes,thyroid,adrenals,diabetes, testosterone & especially insulin resistance... see dr. barry Durrant-Peatfield's revised book, as he explains the varied hormonal issues etc.etc. hope this helps a bit...

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Ah a post I can really relate to !!

Yes I suffer badly each month with managing my BG due to hormonal changes, I get really insulin resistant around a week before i'm due on, and have to take extra insulin to bring me down then literally within a few days of my period I go back to normal - I do also eat low carb so notice very clearly what goes on.

I saw a male doctor about a month ago who thought I was making it up, just because he hadn't heard about it - however you have to live in someone's shoes to believe them.. It concerns me that out of 4 weeks I crash for one week which isnt great for my control in the long term.

Good luck with your research.

:thumbup:

sarah88

My insulin needs change when I'm on too, the week or so I'm on I need more than double my normal dose probably 225%, when I'm just finished it's only 75% of normal then a couple of days after that I'm back to my normal 100%.
Odd!