Blood glucose faulty or something more serious

DerekMalag

Hi all, I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes in a regular blood test as the value was between 42-47 (43). I knew I had to loss weight but this was definitely the trigger. I enrolled in a prediabetes plan with the NHS and started to do more exercise and be very strict with the diet. The result is I've lost almost 5kg in the past 30 days. I also bough a blood glucose meter (brand Kinetic) and I started to monitor at home weekly.

(All tests in the morning before breakfast)
First week i got 7.1
Second week 6.5
Third week got 3 tests: 3.1, 3.5 and 6.4
Yesterday I got 8.5...
This morning I got 8.6
And this afternoon, 2 HR after lunch I've got 13.4... which is scaring me :(.

The lunch was 100gr of steamed rice, mix vegetables, veg chicken and black bean sauce. I also took a coffee with semi skimmed milk after eating.

It seems the device is needing a good drop of blood if not it is not able to read.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? I am very concerned with this and a little bit down as it seems everything I'm doing to lost weight is not having any effect on reducing the blood glucose.

Thanks in advance

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @DerekMalag , and welcome to the forum.
And this afternoon, 2 HR after lunch I've got 13.4
The lunch was 100gr of steamed rice, mix vegetables, veg chicken and black bean sauce.
I think your test showed you your lunch had more carbs than your body can deal with.
Diabetes or prediabetes isn't just about losing weight, it's the inability to deal with large amounts of carbs, as all carbs make your blood glucose go up.

Losing weight may well improve your sensibility to insulin, meaning you can have more carbs without going high, but for most it doesn't mean they can eat unlimited carbs after losing weight.

I think you'd like to have a read of this: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Your hba1c of 43 means your average blood glucose was around 7.1, which seems to fit with your numbers.
The 13.4 may have been a short spike, caught at the highest peak.

Reactions: DerekMalag

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
[QUOTE="DerekMalag,

First week i got 7.1
Second week 6.5

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

Hi these readings are not normal 3.1and 3.5 are low.
Could you elaborate on the circumstances of these readings please?

Prediabetes is a early warning, that you need to take better care for by finding a healthier lifestyle for you. The testing needs to be more designed around meal times, by testing pre meal and two hours after. If the difference between pre and post meal readings is more than 2 mmols, then something (usually carbs) is causing this!
By reducing carbs, plate size, portions, especially snacks and increasing exercise, saturated fats and a healthy dietary balance for you! You can reverse and control this.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The lunch was 100gr of steamed rice, mix vegetables, veg chicken and black bean sauce.

From Fat Secret Australia website.

Steamed Rice 28 grams carbs in 100 grams
Black bean sauce I cup 30 grams carbs
Mixed veggies 36 gram carbs

I did not look for the other stuff as it was close to my daily allowance.

https://www.fatsecret.com.au/calori...-rice?portionid=4936690&portionamount=100.000
https://www.fatsecret.com.au/calori...-rice?portionid=4936690&portionamount=100.000
https://www.fatsecret.com.au/calories-nutrition/generic/black-bean-sauce

DerekMalag

Your hba1c of 43 means your average blood glucose was around 7.1, which seems to fit with your numbers.
The 13.4 may have been a short spike, caught at the highest peak.
Thanks, as per your other message and Riva_Roxaban below it looks like I ate more carb that I should have. I was recommended no more than 30-50 gr per meal and this was obviously above. This is the first time a get a reading after eating, can be a pike as you said but I though it was too high and got me scared.

Hi these readings are not normal 3.1and 3.5 are low.
Could you elaborate on the circumstances of these readings please?

Prediabetes is a early warning, that you need to take better care for by finding a healthier lifestyle for you. The testing needs to be more designed around meal times, by testing pre meal and two hours after. If the difference between pre and post meal readings is more than 2 mmols, then something (usually carbs) is causing this!
By reducing carbs, plate size, portions, especially snacks and increasing exercise, saturated fats and a healthy dietary balance for you! You can reverse and control this.
I've been taking readings early in the morning, first thing after waking up and found it quite variable. For those cases there were practically no difference. Sometimes even not able to read, I presume because not enough blood. I'm trying to learn from this, I think I was doing a good progress having a healthier eating from the past week, doing exercise regularly and see results loosing weight but I was discouraged getting those readings of 8.5 in the mornings and 13.4 after meal.

From Fat Secret Australia website.

Steamed Rice 28 grams carbs in 100 grams
Black bean sauce I cup 30 grams carbs
Mixed veggies 36 gram carbs

I did not look for the other stuff as it was close to my daily allowance.
Thanks for this, this is really helpful. Don't know if this is the reason for the high peak but definitely is something I need to look at. This is a learning process and I am still struggling to control and understanding it...

Reactions: Lamont D

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This is the first time a get a reading after eating, can be a pike as you said but I though it was too high and got me scared.
Don't let a high reading scare you!
It's just a learning opportunity, you now know there were too many carbs in your meal.

Using your meter right before eating and two hours after is much more useful than taking morning readings. It will tell you how your body handled that meal, and meals are the thing you can adjust!

I think it's worth remembering that insulin resistance takes time to improve. Even if the changes are working for you, you might not see significant improvement for 1-3 months. But your readings meal to meal will tell you a bit about what foods are helpful and not helpful for you.

bloograss

Hi all, I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes in a regular blood test as the value was between 42-47 (43). I knew I had to loss weight but this was definitely the trigger. I enrolled in a prediabetes plan with the NHS and started to do more exercise and be very strict with the diet. The result is I've lost almost 5kg in the past 30 days. I also bough a blood glucose meter (brand Kinetic) and I started to monitor at home weekly.

First week i got 7.1
Second week 6.5
Yesterday I got 8.5...
This morning I got 8.6

The lunch was 100gr of steamed rice, mix vegetables, veg chicken and black bean sauce. I also took a coffee with semi skimmed milk after eating.

It seems the device is needing a good drop of blood if not it is not able to read.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? I am very concerned with this and a little bit down as it seems everything I'm doing to lost weight is not having any effect on reducing the blood glucose.

Thanks in advance

Did you know that 150 grams of rice converts into as much glucose as 10 teaspoons of sugar. Def cut the rice!