Blood glucose levels

Fingers11/2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My levels are normally about6.9 after fasting at night, is there anything I can do to get them lower as I see people with under 5s on the forum. I try to watch my diet and exercise three times a week plus go for walks.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi, Fingers 11/2, if you want to get to the magic 5.5% mmols then lchf portion control by weighing and measuring what you eat...you will drop those figures..initially i used my fitness pal app...there you can enter all your personal details and you will get an idea of what amounts of food groups are ok...( limit carbs to 20= 30 grams a day proteins to 80 grams a day and see how you go, all the best,clive...this is providing you have no other medical problems ...so if in doubt ...consult your gp

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think your higher reading is probably dawn phenomenon.
A lot of T2s have this.
It is your liver getting you ready for the day ahead. It gives you a boost, so if you don't eat, then you have enough glucose till you do eat!
There have been many threads on how to try and get it down, maybe someone will give you more information.
But, that 6.9 is just above normal readings and it could be out by a differential of +- 10%. Because of the accuracy of the monitor.
Monitoring is a way of seeing how you are doing over a period of weeks, months, to see what patterns are emerging and too see if the food you are eating is good or not good.

Hope this helps, sir!

Fingers11/2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, Fingers 11/2, if you want to get to the magic 5.5% mmols then lchf portion control by weighing and measuring what you eat...you will drop those figures..initially i used my fitness pal app...there you can enter all your personal details and you will get an idea of what amounts of food groups are ok...( limit carbs to 20= 30 grams a day proteins to 80 grams a day and see how you go, all the best,clive...this is providing you have no other medical problems ...so if in doubt ...consult your gp
I don't know what Lchf stands for, and I don't weigh or measure what I eat but my wife plates all my meals and I would say she gets it right. I am already on my fitness pal app and I get good feedback from it and I thought I was doing things right but as you say I will have to reduce my carb intake thanks for the advice, fingers.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Fingers11/2 LCHF is Low Carbohydrate High Fat, which is the way a lot of us on here eat, and have found that it has reduced our blood sugar levels.
Carbs turn to sugar in our bodies so it is better for us to avoid or reduce them, and we eat more healthy fat, like butter, cream and cheese to replace the energy and to make us feel full.

Fingers11/2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Fingers11/2 LCHF is Low Carbohydrate High Fat, which is the way a lot of us on here eat, and have found that it has reduced our blood sugar levels.
Carbs turn to sugar in our bodies so it is better for us to avoid or reduce them, and we eat more healthy fat, like butter, cream and cheese to replace the energy and to make us feel full.
Thanks for your help, it just means that I don't have to worry about the dairy I eat.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I don't know what Lchf stands for, and I don't weigh or measure what I eat but my wife plates all my meals and I would say she gets it right. I am already on my fitness pal app and I get good feedback from it and I thought I was doing things right but as you say I will have to reduce my carb intake thanks for the advice, fingers.
Low carb high fat,which basically translates to avoiding carbs,and eating good fats like olive oils and butter,avocado,fatty bacon,these all help you feel full in place of the carbs,clive

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My levels are normally about6.9 after fasting at night, is there anything I can do to get them lower as I see people with under 5s on the forum. I try to watch my diet and exercise three times a week plus go for walks.
Fasting works for me. After 36 hour fast you will find your numbers will probably come down

Reactions: 4 people