blood glucose management

phildurham

Since I have been checking my bloods I have been regularly getting the following numbers.For pre breakfast:my lowest number has been 7.7, highest being 9.0
Pre lunch :4.6 4.8 5.0 6.1 and 8.6 being highest
Post lunch:6.2 lowest 7.4 8.3 11.6 and 13.6 being highest.
I would be grateful if someone could give me any advice and what I should be saying to my doctor. Am newly diagnose this year and its all new to me..
Thanks in advance.
Phil.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
First of all you have to find out what particular foods are giving you the higher readings.
Then take them out and at the same time, find what doesn't give you the higher reading.
Once you have control and you keep a record of what you eat and your blood glucose levels as you have posted.
That gives you a record of how you are doing and you can compare over time, how you are doing.
Have a read around the low carb forum and discover new foods and recipes to help you.
A doctor or dsn will be more responsive if you have control and the likelihood of deferring more meds in the future.
If you haven't already reduce your carbs and sugars. The best advice for you at this early stage is to reduce your plate size and do a little bit more activity. One more tip. Go for a stroll after your meal as it reduces your blood glucose levels.
Hope this helps.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Food wise I use an app if your carb counting called carb and Cals I find it so helpful! Your reading seem good and that you are energetic with it which is half the battle noshed makes some good points. How is it in the rest of your life? Like I find when I concentrate my blood sugars drop significantly so reading can be a challenge

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi are you keeping a food diary as without knowing what you have eaten its hard to tell what may be influencing your BS

phildurham

First of all you have to find out what particular foods are giving you the higher readings.
Then take them out and at the same time, find what doesn't give you the higher reading.
Once you have control and you keep a record of what you eat and your blood glucose levels as you have posted.
That gives you a record of how you are doing and you can compare over time, how you are doing.
Have a read around the low carb forum and discover new foods and recipes to help you.
A doctor or dsn will be more responsive if you have control and the likelihood of deferring more meds in the future.
If you haven't already reduce your carbs and sugars. The best advice for you at this early stage is to reduce your plate size and do a little bit more activity. One more tip. Go for a stroll after your meal as it reduces your blood glucose levels.
Hope this helps.
Many thanks for taking the time to reply and giving sound advice. Very grateful to you.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi , its all very new and not easy but trying my best.
Hi Phil I am sorry to hear things are challenging. soynda like your doing great. It can feel like a whole new world but I can say it gets better honestly

phildurham

Food wise I use an app if your carb counting called carb and Cals I find it so helpful! Your reading seem good and that you are energetic with it which is half the battle noshed makes some good points. How is it in the rest of your life? Like I find when I concentrate my blood sugars drop significantly so reading can be a challenge
Hi I will make a point of using an app for carb counting. Its not easy as no one else at home has Diabetes and don't understand.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hello Phil
You need to use your meter to learn what in your diet is causing the high readings.
So if you test before a meal and then 2hrs after, you can see what effect that meal had on your blood sugar levels.
Idealy you want to keep any rise to below 2mmol/l if the rise is greater than this then you need to cut some carbs out of that meal by having smaller portions or substituting some of the ingredients for Lower carb alternatives. It helps if you keep a record of your meals and what readings they have given you. It means a lot of testing and sore fingers for a few weeks but you will soon have a good idea of you can and can't tolerate.

phildurham

Hi Phil I am sorry to hear things are challenging. soynda like your doing great. It can feel like a whole new world but I can say it gets better honestly
When I was first diagnosed I couldn't come to terms with it as also have anxiety and depression, but am now slowly beginning to accept it.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Are you T1 or T2 and what meds are you on? Do have a low-carb diet if not already doing it.

phildurham

Hello Phil
You need to use your meter to learn what in your diet is causing the high readings.
So if you test before a meal and then 2hrs after, you can see what effect that meal had on your blood sugar levels.
Idealy you want to keep any rise to below 2mmol/l if the rise is greater than this then you need to cut some carbs out of that meal by having smaller portions or substituting some of the ingredients for Lower carb alternatives. It helps if you keep a record of your meals and what readings they have given you. It means a lot of testing and sore fingers for a few weeks but you will soon have a good idea of you can and can't tolerate.
Hi there, and thanks for taking time to reply and offering sound advice. I am testing up to 4 times a day at present. I like the idea of keeping a record of meals taken-something which I hadn't thought of and will start that tomorrow. Once again many thanks.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I was first diagnosed I couldn't come to terms with it as also have anxiety and depression, but am now slowly beginning to accept it.
It's a kind of bereavement I think and so hard for some to empathise with. Sounds like your doing loads which is key and it does require a lot of energy. If it helps I am 15years down the line and it can be a challenge but also can be eye opening. Your doing loads to get there so that will help. Do you mind me asking Phil at home is it parents partner or kids who are not understanding?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Many thanks for taking the time to reply and giving sound advice. Very grateful to you.
There is an awful lot of information out there, a lot of it is contradictory to what is good for diabetics. The more information and knowledge you can get, the more you understand it.
Control is the key to unlock your health.
Low carbing will do it for you!

phildurham

It's a kind of bereavement I think and so hard for some to empathise with. Sounds like your doing loads which is key and it does require a lot of energy. If it helps I am 15years down the line and it can be a challenge but also can be eye opening. Your doing loads to get there so that will help. Do you mind me asking Phil at home is it parents partner or kids who are not understanding?
Its the missus and my 25 year old lad who don't get it.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah it can be challenging for family. Sometimes the diabetes centres run like awareness course for family of diabetics so they can help and understand. It might be worth looking into. Professor shaw in Newcastle studies are interesting re diet for type 2s might be worth a google