Blood glucose meters.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having tried the SD codefree device and TEE2, I wasted quite a few strips when not enough blood was applied.
I too use both. I think you must be rather miserly with your blood, as I always have plenty, and enough over usually for a 2nd test if I need it.

Reactions: dbr10

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
buying 100 lancets was probably overkill
Agreed, but isn't that a mistake that almost all of us made at the start? What with the free lancets that came with my 3 meters, and the 50 I bought not realising that I would be re-using them and only need about one a month if that, I have easily enough lancets to see me out! Lucky that they come cheaper than strips. Now if only we could re-use the strips in the same way!

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe the TEE2 test strips are pretty much the same price as the SD Codefree one, so why pay £13 for the device/kit, particularly when the TEE2 Plus is now provided (includes Bluetooth connection to smartphones)
The TEE2 and Codefree strips are almost the same price for one tub of 50, but you can save a lot of money by buying the Codefree strips in bulk, as others have pointed out.

I have the old TEE2 and recently ordered (still free) the newer TEE2+. OK the new TEE2+ offers bluetooth connection, but only to some devices, and not to mine. The downside of the new TEE2+ meter is its larger size. It looks much nicer than the old TEE2, which quite honestly looks a bit cheap compared both to the TEE2+ and the Codefree. The new TEE2+ would be ideal for anyone who is visually struggling as the screen and numbers on it are really big and bold. However I wouldn't much want to take it around with me. True it fits into the original case, but only just, with the case full to bursting.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the sd code free and also accu check mobile. The code free consistently gives a much higher reading than the accu check.
Interesting! I have been mainly using my Codefree, reserving my TEE2 for doing a second reading when I don't like the look of the first. But recently I seemed to be getting a lot of unexplained high readings on my Codefree, so I switched to my TEE2 full time and since then my readings have been impeccably low (well, almost!) I do have some misgivings. What if my TEE2 is giving inaccurately low readings and my Codefree was correct all the time? But cheered by those low readings I find it much easier to be really strict about my low carb diet. The high Codefree readings left me intensely discouraged and tempted to comfort eat. So maybe even if my TEE2 readings are fictitious, they are helpful psychologically.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting! I have been mainly using my Codefree, reserving my TEE2 for doing a second reading when I don't like the look of the first. But recently I seemed to be getting a lot of unexplained high readings on my Codefree, so I switched to my TEE2 full time and since then my readings have been impeccably low (well, almost!) I do have some misgivings. What if my TEE2 is giving inaccurately low readings and my Codefree was correct all the time? But cheered by those low readings I find it much easier to be really strict about my low carb diet. The high Codefree readings left me intensely discouraged and tempted to comfort eat. So maybe even if my TEE2 readings are fictitious, they are helpful psychologically.

The batches of Codefree tubs can vary. Even from one tub to another they can vary. If you start getting strange readings, check the batch number (on the box). Then try a new tub.

The Codefree is notorious for reading higher than other meters. It always read higher than my Accu Chek Mobile. Many others on here have reported similar. However, it is better to have a meter that reads high than one that reads low, or you could be drawn into a false sense of security. ;)

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agreed, but isn't that a mistake that almost all of us made at the start? What with the free lancets that came with my 2 meters, and the 50 I bought not realising that I would be re-using them and only need about one a month if that, I have easily enough lancets to see me out! Lucky that they come cheaper than strips. Now if only we could re-use the strips in the same way!
I made the same mistake. I think we all do.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Codefree is notorious for reading higher than other meters. It always read higher than my Accu Chek Mobile. Many others on here have reported similar. However, it is better to have a meter that reads high than one that reads low, or you could be drawn into a false sense of security. ;)
That's very interesting. However, far from my TEE2 leading me into a false sense of security, seeing some good readings is encouraging me to further efforts! I guess we are all different mentally as well as physically! Also.given that I am already restricting my carbs to <20 daily, with 2g Metformin daily, even if my readings are up there is nothing much more I can do about that. I might almost as well not test, except maybe once a week to make sure something catastrophic isn't happening.

Reactions: Larissima and dbr10

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made the same mistake. I think we all do.
Except for the hygienically minded who really do change their lancets each time. Maybe we should all donate our superfluous lancets to a fund to be handed over to them!

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Except for the hygienically minded who really do change their lancets each time. Maybe we should all donate our superfluous lancets to a fund to be handed over to them!
Jenny Rhule advised they didn't need changing every time; but a guy at the hospital support says you might get false readings. I haven't got around to checking that yet. Rhule was actually concerned about possible infections from the lancets and hadn't experienced any herself.

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes (but I may learn to love it)
I use the Tee2 system from http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk a good basic meter that lets you keep track of your blood sugar readings. Test strips are very reasonable at £7:50 for 50. The actual meter complete with Lancet pen, 10 lancets and 10 test strips is free to diabetics