Blood Glucose Monitor

Mitch1705

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi im new to this as just been diagnosed, i have type 2 and been put on Metformin, my question is do you have to get the equiptment to monitor BG at this stage or just go on a healthy diabetic diet that will keep your BG Down?

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

Can you confirm what type of diabetes you have?
Your avatar says “type 2” but your description says “type one”.

The answer to your question depends on the type of diabetes.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi im new to this as just been diagnosed, i have type one and been put on Metformin, my question is do you have to get the equiptment to monitor BG at this stage or just go on a healthy diabetic diet that will keep your BG Down?

@Mitch1705 can you just clarify your profile says you have type 2 but your post says you have type one? Just so you get the right advice :)

D

Deleted member 308541

my question is do you have to get the equiptment to monitor BG at this stage
No matter if you are a T1 or T2 diabetic, you will need a testing meter and strips to have a idea of how you are managing it.

Mitch1705

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi all I have rectified my post to TYPE 2 and will do my profile also, It is type 2 I have thank you

Reactions: Rachox

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, most definitely you need to buy a meter and test strips. Without these you are working blind. A meter will help you discover which foods your body cannot cope with, and which it can. When you buy one we will advise you on how to use it to your very best advantage.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Mitch I notice on another thread that you have worries about funding a meter. Can you just let us known which medications you are on as some risk hypos (low blood sugars), in this case you should get testing kit on prescription, however if you’re just on Metformin then you won’t. It isn’t absolutely essential, but a lot of us have found it really useful to find out what foods suit us. If you do decide you can stretch to testing at least for a month or two then we can help you pick the most cost effective kit.

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say it essential to test initially to see which foods spike your blood glucose levels and which foods don't. I would also recommend that as you say you are only on Metformin that you adopt a very low carb diet initially and then increase the fat content to maintain your desired weight once you have dropped to your target weight.

Mitch1705

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Mitch I notice on another thread that you have worries about funding a meter. Can you just let us known which medications you are on as some risk hypos (low blood sugars), in this case you should get testing kit on prescription, however if you’re just on Metformin then you won’t. It isn’t absolutely essential, but a lot of us have found it really useful to find out what foods suit us. If you do decide you can stretch to testing at least for a month or two then we can help you pick the most cost effective kit.

Hey yes i would like to try get one, as i am on metformin any help would be greatly appreciated

D

Deleted member 308541

Hey yes i would like to try get one
Buying a meter is a one off payment, @Rachox has a link for a reasonably cheap one and discount codes for the strips.

Sure beats the hell out of a amputation or going blind buying one for peace of mind.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d agree that the meter is pretty close to essential. However, if funding it (or rather the strips, which are the main cost) are a big barrier, then taking a simple approach to eating - cutting out all the big carbs (rice, bread, pasta, potatoes, sugar, root vegetables) would mean that you’d be driving your sugar levels as low as possible and likely not having big spikes.

Having said that, that might not suit you, in which case you do need to understand which foods impact your blood sugars and testing would be essential at least initially.

Aside from that testing helps to alert you to any problems at an early stage, which gives you a better chance of addressing them.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey yes i would like to try get one, as i am on metformin any help would be greatly appreciated

Here are some meters that are popular on the forum:

Taken from a post by @Bluetit1802 as she wrote it so nicely:

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)