Blood glucose monitor

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just been diagnosed as type 2 diabetic after 5 years of being borderline. My fasting blood result was 48 down from 49 on the previous test. I have not been prescribed any medication just told to excercise & lose weight.
Today I have purchased an Accu-chek mobile monitor so I can control my diet without having to work out carbs (which I would be useless at) I read reviews on the different monitors available & this one seemed to be the easiest to use but having opened the parcel it says "for people with diabetes using insulin"
I would really appreciate some advice now please on its suitability for me

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The monitor should be fine to use as a T2.

We generally use the monitor to test before and after eating to see how the food we eat is affecting our blood glucose, and most of us generally count carbs, as this is what makes our blood glucose rise. How are you intending to use it if you are not counting carbs?

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,
I'm trying to eat low carb/high fat so I have cut right down to very small portions of potatoes/bread/rice etc
For breakfast I have full fat natural Greek yoghurt with 2 desert spoons of flaxseed/oat bran/walnuts/almonds with 3 or 4 strawberries. Lunch is usually an avocado with smoked salmon or mackerel and then dinner with lots of above ground veggies.
I make a lamb curry from scratch & would have no idea how to work out the carbs, this is a good example of how useful testing before & 2 hours later will be.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How much weight do you want to lose?

A benefit from LCHf is that weight loss is almost a side effect.

48 means you are diabetic, but you don't need to do a whole lot to get your numbers down to "normal" levels.

Tagging @daisy1 for the welcome pack.

Most of us don't eat potatoes, rice, pasta, bread etc. Use your meter to find out what foods cause a spike before and after eating. Keep a food diary and log everything.

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou for your reply, I have lost a stone in 4 months and I'm looking to lose another 2 stone. It's comforting to hear that I'm not far off normal levels. I will follow your advice on the food log along with test results.
It would be very reassuring to hear from other members who use the Accu-Chek mobile but who are not on insulin

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Measure the quantity of the foods you consume sometimes a large portion will spike you, a smaller one won't.

It's all trial and error. We are all different and foods affect us differently.

Carb counting is a pain to begin with, but it becomes second nature remarkably quickly.

If you have curry and rice one day, test before and after. The next day, have curry but leave out the rice and see what the difference is.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou for your reply, I have lost a stone in 4 months and I'm looking to lose another 2 stone. It's comforting to hear that I'm not far off normal levels. I will follow your advice on the food log along with test results.
It would be very reassuring to hear from other members who use the Accu-Chek mobile but who are not on insulin
Its simply a blood sugar monitor so it doesn't matter if you take insulin or not. Most monitors are only prescribed for Type 1's which is probably why its mentioned on the pack.

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Measure the quantity of the foods you consume sometimes a large portion will spike you, a smaller one won't.

It's all trial and error. We are all different and foods affect us differently.

Carb counting is a pain to begin with, but it becomes second nature remarkably quickly.

If you have curry and rice one day, test before and after. The next day, have curry but leave out the rice and see what the difference is.
My plan is to have curry with a small portion of basmati rice then if the results are high, try curry with cauliflower rice.

Reactions: Antje77

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its simply a blood sugar monitor so it doesn't matter if you take insulin or not. Most monitors are only prescribed for Type 1's which is probably why its mentioned on the pack.
Much appreciated, thankyou

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My plan is to have curry with a small portion of basmati rice then if the results are high, try curry with cauliflower rice.
Thats a great use of your meter. Test right before you eat and 2 hours after first mouthful and let us know what the readings are..(if that's ok with you of course).

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it helps, I dropped my HbA1c from 122 to 35 within 4 months. I dropped 14kg in about 7 or 8 months.

Because of my number at the start, I went LCHF/keto almost immediately. It took about 4 weeks to get over carb addiction, then all of a sudden, no more hunger pangs. I still have less than 20g carbs per day.

You will find your own level. We don't say eat to your meter for nothing!

Download the mySugr app to record your food and readings. After a few days it will give you an estimated HbA1c which is highly motivating.

I think you will do great.

Edited to add: if you download mySugr, you can turn off the sound in settings, great for kids but really annoying!

Last edited:
Reactions: Krystyna23040

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats a great use of your meter. Test right before you eat and 2 hours after first mouthful and let us know what the readings are..(if that's ok with you of course).
I certainly will, I have given up so much - Sugar in my drinks being the worst but I can't imagine having to live without my curry

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Atad heavy
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou daisy1 for the newly diagnosed info
These are my blood glucose results starting with my 1st day on self testing,
Day 1. Fasting result 5.7. Breakfast:- full fat Greek yoghurt with 4 strawberries & 2 desert spoons of a mix of flaxseed,oat bran,
chopped walnut & almonds
Lunch:- 1 x avocado
3 x rye crispbread thins with smoked salmon
Dinner:- 3x pork sausages
2 x small baked new potatoes in garlic butter
Tomatoes, courgettes, onion, garlic, Parmesan bake
Mushrooms
BG before 5.3
BG 2 hours later 6.2
Supper 1 x banana (I now know not good)
6 x pecans
Day 2. Fasting BG 5.6. Breakfast same as above
Lunch 2 x meat samosas ( a real naughty)
Dinner. Lamb curry with rice
BG before 4.7
BG 2 hours after 7.4
The curry tasted a lot sweeter than normal so I am going to look at tinned chopped tomatoes with a lower sugar content before I try a curry with cauliflower rice.
Fasting BG this morning was 5.8
How I wish that I had invested in a blood glucose monitor when I was first diagnosed as pre diabetic

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello bulkbiker, my blood glucose result before my curry was 4.7 & 2 hours later it was 7.4

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So what did you have with the curry.. 2.7 rise is a bit more than I'd want personally..
I had about 2 tablespoons of white basmati rice with the curry. It tasted very sweet so I checked the sugar content in the tin of chopped tomatoes which was 3.4gr per 100gr and it was a 400gr tin. I have checked one supermarket today and all the brands had similar quantities of sugar.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had about 2 tablespoons of white basmati rice with the curry. It tasted very sweet so I checked the sugar content in the tin of chopped tomatoes which was 3.4gr per 100gr and it was a 400gr tin. I have checked one supermarket today and all the brands had similar quantities of sugar.
I'd imagine its the rice rather than the minimal carbs in the tomatoes..maybe next time try without the rice and you'll probably get a very small rise.