Blood glucose rises steeply no matter what I eat.

MargJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, against the docs advice, I bought and am using the SD code free meter. I am only measuring levels for one meal a day because of cost concerns. Each day the post meal reading jumps by 5 or 6 points- from 5.2 to 11.4 for example. That was with chicken salad, no bread or rice and no dessert. I get similar readings for all meals irrespective of carb content. I am concerned as this is not reflected in hbA1c which is now down to 45.2. Think I am going to have to test each time I eat regardless of costs. Should I show the doc these readings and ask his advice?

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I fear if you consult the GP he will just say "I told you so" without helping. You need to eliminate possible causes first. Illness? Stress? Other medication? Time of testing? Did you repeat-test straight away to check? Clean hands? Uncontaminated strips?
And exactly what was in the chicken salad (apart from chicken)? And anyway was it plain chicken or coated with something?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As Deejay mentioned, I'd be looking closer into what you're eating. There are carbs in many more foods than just bread and sweets. Also as he mentioned, there are many more factors that can affect your glucose levels (although I'm still willing to bet it's what you're eating)

Do you put fruit in your chicken salad (grapes, apples, etc)? Fruit contains simple carbohydrates (fructose) which eventually will be converted into glucose....the end result are elevated blood sugars.

Reactions: 2 people

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I`ve found that a bit of light exercise after eating can really make a difference to my post prandial bg levels. We`re not talking full gym workout here, a 15 or 20min stroll can make all the difference (I believe it used to be known as taking one`s constitutional). Anyway, I`m aware that we`re all different but this works for me, has no bad side effects and costs absolutely nothing!

Reactions: 6 people

MargJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all. I test just before and 2 hours after either lunch or tea each day. Exercise does help, tried that on Saturday and it brought level right down. My salads are just basic lettuce, cucumber,tomatoes and celery. I don't use dressings but sometimes add carrot, beetroot and radish. I do get stressed as my husband is very ill. His diet is diametrically opposed to mine. He cannot eat salads,vegetables or any high fibre foods so we are having to have separate meals. The whole business of eating and shopping for food is a nightmare.

Reactions: 3 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, you have a lot on your plate then (no pun intended, sorry). Perhaps try not to worry, since your A1c level is reasonable. Persevere with as frequent testing as you can manage. Cooked carrot and beetroot are dodgy for some (me included) but raw carrot is sometimes better.
I still don't think consulting your GP is likely to help.