blood glucose testing

elainegold

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I was diagnosed in October as type 2 diet controlled at the moment. I was advised not to test my blood glucose levels but for my own information I would like to test my levels in the mornings to judge what to eat during the day i,e cut down on carbs if levels are high. I would also like to know how the foods I eat affect my levels,
My question is what monitor would people recommend as easiest and simpliest to use and also the best value for money i,e the cost of strips etc. Any advice welcome. Thanks

Reactions: 3 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I think most people here would reccomend the SD Codefree monitor it's cheap, the strips are cheap and it's as good as any. It's available online from Home Health, the starter kit contains, monitor, lancet, about five strips, a few lancets all contained in a zip case, costs £12.99 if I remember. Replacement strips around 6.99 for 50 and lancets £5 for 50
It is cheaper if you order in multiples eg: 5 packs £25
It's not surprising you were advised not to test, that is always the advice given to type 2 but you are right in thinking 'how do I know what is safe to eat' and only by knowing what your BG is at any time can you get good control. Good luck with the testing

Last edited by a moderator:

elainegold

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi thanks for the advice. Excuse my ignorance but what are lancets? Also can I link this one to my android phone to keep a record of my readings

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi elainegold.:).. To have better control of your Diabetes - you need to know what your fasting blood sugar is on a morning and also to test 2 hours after each meal. That way you can see which foods give you 'highs', if you go to the top and tap on FORUMS then scroll down to FOOD and NUTRITION - there you will see various diets which may be of some help to you? :)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi again elainegold:). Lancets are an essential part of managing your Diabetes, they are small "pin like" object used to prick your finger to test your blood. As for android phone I cannot help you on this one.:)

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Hi thanks for the advice. Excuse my ignorance but what are lancets? Also can I link this one to my android phone to keep a record of my readings
The lancets are the needles....finger stabbers(you soon get used to it) you also get the holder to put them in and full instructions. Try and use the sides of fingers to jab as using the soft pad can make it quite sore. I alternate mine by using one side of each finger in turn and then the other side in turn. By the time it comes to the third round the first jab sites have healed and I never have sore fingers.You should read your BG before you eat then again 2hours later, keep a record of your readings and you should soon identify the foods that raise your sugar level you can then avoid those foods. Ideally your levels should be between 4.5 and 8.5 those are the guidelines from NICE
Ps, the monitor can be set with date etc and will hold a record of your readings. Sorry can't help with the app

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The SD #Codefree will work with a PC. Go to Homehealth website for details. Cable is non standard 3.5mm jack to USB and is expensive but is special to the meter, so no other choice of supplier. Don;t see an android APP or any way of using it with a phone.

The PC software is limited in what it can do, but the data file it stores can be used with MS Office or EXCEL.

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The lancets are the needles....finger stabbers(you soon get used to it) you also get the holder to put them in and full instructions. Try and use the sides of fingers to jab as using the soft pad can make it quite sore. I alternate mine by using one side of each finger in turn and then the other side in turn. By the time it comes to the third round the first jab sites have healed and I never have sore fingers.You should read your BG before you eat then again 2hours later, keep a record of your readings and you should soon identify the foods that raise your sugar level you can then avoid those foods. Ideally your levels should be between 4.5 and 8.5 those are the guidelines from NICE
Ps, the monitor can be set with date etc and will hold a record of your readings. Sorry can't help with the app
Hi, can you help with which monitor measurement to order please? I have asked but havent received a reply and want to start measuring asap so want to order the unit soon. mg or mmol? If it doesnt make much difference sorry, but I dont know if it does or not. Thanks. J

Reactions: 2 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi jal16. You need mmol.:)