Blood in urinr

Mickygg

Hi all,

Very new to this.

I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 a few months ago.

All liver, kidney. Blood pressure and cholesterol test were fine, however my blood was 27.

I was put on 500mg of metformin once a day and have been taking them for 10 days now.

The last three days I have had pink wee.

Is this something I should be worried about or is it a side effect of the tablet.

Google is making me sad with its diagnosis, so thought it would be wise to check here to see if anyone had experienced it.

I'm in the Midlands at the moment away from my home area, Scotland. Although, I will of course phone my own doctor Monday, but not sure if I should stop taking the metformin until then.

Any advice appreciated

Many thanks

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You need to get to the doc. But I have a odd question for you - have you been eating beetroot?

Reactions: Mickygg

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Beetroot is known for causing pink urine. So perhaps ease off for a while?
But do please see the doc just in case.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Mickygg

Now you said beetroot, I do think after reading (thanks to your question) it could be that as it was more light pink than a blood colour.

You have made me less panicky, however, I will still call my doctor Monday to check, better to be safe.

On the plus side my blood are down from 27 to 12 after 10 days of low carb diet and metformin

Thank you so very much, ill post back Monday to let you know what the doctor says, but I really appreciate you replying.

Michelle x

Reactions: Diakat and Antje77

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Mickygg

A friend of mine once rang in a panic thinking she had a serious issue, when I ran through what she'd been up to in the last day we deduced she'd been eating beetroot, she stopped eating it and problem went away.

Just omit it from your diet for a day or so and see how you get on you'll know for sure by Monday then.

Mickygg

I can't believe that a simple beetroot would send me into a meltdown lol

According to Google I was going to die :-(

I really appreciate every one being so helpful and quick to reply. Being new to diabetes is scary for me, I'm hoping that the combined low carb diet, without beetroot, and the metformin will keep me nicely under control.

Again, thank you all for putting my mind at ease for now. x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
No worries @Mickygg It's easy to panic about anything when faced with a new diagnosis, but blood in urine isn't directly linked to diabetes, good job Diakat spotted your post.

Keep on with the low carb, sounds like you are already doing incredibly well.