Blood levels and insulin

Nicolejwise

Hey,
Just wondering if anyone else finds it really difficult to control their blood sugar levels? I've discovered it's harder to bring my blood sugar down in the morning, but by afternoon it drops. I know its due to the levemir I take, as it's peaking in the afternoon. I'm just feeling so down with it all. No matter what I do it doesn't seem to help. I really want better control to be prepared for starting a family.

Any help would be great.
Thanks you.
Nicole

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah, it isn't easy to do. but with the right knowledge and tools it can become a lot easier...

In the morning we are all more resistant to insulin due to a cocktail of hormones.....so it might be wise to consider splitting your Levemir to an overnight dose and separate morning dose......this allows you to evaluate and if needed increase the overnight dose to help you wake as close to target as possible....

there is a peak in Levemir but its not a peak that I would say is responsible for better levels once the dose has been working a while.....it is actually meant to hold you steady in the absence of carbs/bolus insulin.....

lantinsulin.jpg

have you had any formal training on dose adjustment...?

Last edited:

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
What times do you take your levimir and what fast acting insulin are you on?
I take 10 units of levimir at 5.30 am then 14 units at 6 pm and match food to novorapid in between.
I've been type 1 for 44 years and on levimir/novorapid for the last 10 years.

Tony

Nicolejwise

novorapidboi26 & Tony337 - thanks for the feedback.

I currently take Levemir when I wake up so between 7/8am which is 18units and 8pm with 24units... I take a lot already which is obviously a little annoying for weight wise. I'm on Novarapid for when I eat/correcting my bloods.

I was trained on DAFNE but find the rules don't apply well with my body. I try not to eat carbs in the morning and lunch time but at night it's difficult and from that wake up with a blood sugar reading usually between 8/14. I then take corrective dosages but find myself constantly taking insulin and not the results I need.

Nicole

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When was the last time you tested the 8pm Levemir?

You could try moving that 8pm to before bed to give additional help with the waking levels....

getting something digesting quickly will help slow the liver dump that will be happening [dawn phenomenon]......you should also test the morning Levemir too to see if you can get that dose pinned down as much as possible....

as your more resistant in the morning too, a high insulin/carb ratio will help....

I was on 3 units for every 10grams at one point...

what about the DAFNE principals doesn't work?

Nicolejwise

novorapidboi26 - Bit of a silly question what do you mean testing my levemir?

DAFNE rules for carb counting, doesn't seem to apply to my body. My body reacts better when I don't eat carbs... however, who doesn't love carbs?! Haha!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, i am afraid this is a common problem with type 1 . You sound like you are insulin resistant in the morning. You may need a little more levemir . I have the same problem ( on Humalog) I think your health care team should have told you this or discussed it with you . I wish you good luck.

Nicolejwise

be strong 2017 thank you for your reply. I had no idea this was a common issue. Most diabetics I know of are well controlled (which makes me feel a bit like a failure tbh) I think I'm taking too much levemior at night because when I used the sensor you could see my blood dipping low then high again indicating hypos but not waking up with them.

It's so complicated.