Blood levels mid afternoon

Izzycam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have started taking semaglutide recently - 4th 0.25 mg injection tomorrow. It is helping bring readings down and with appetite control. In 3 weeks I have lost over 3kg and have reduced my overnight insulin by 6units and managed to keep my morning readings within range. The problem is I keep having mid afternoon hypos. The semaglutide has affected my hypo awareness so I have to check my bloods about 3.30 to check. I have reduced my morning insulin from 14 units down to 8 but I’m still getting the hypos. I test my blood before lunch and get a reasonable reading- eg today it was 5.7 at midday but despite eating 2 slices of toast and a tin of sardines for lunch I had fallen to 3.2 by 3.45pm. Any advice?

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... I keep having mid afternoon hypos. ... I have reduced my morning insulin from 14 units down to 8 but I’m still getting the hypos. I test my blood before lunch and get a reasonable reading- eg today it was 5.7 at midday but despite eating 2 slices of toast and a tin of sardines for lunch I had fallen to 3.2 by 3.45pm. Any advice?
The incretin medicine increases insulin production when you eat, so the afternoon hypo could be reactive hypoglycemia. Try not having any carbohydrate with lunch, like a chicken salad, and see if that makes a difference.

Reactions: Izzycam