T2s: What was your fasting BG this morning, and what did you eat yesterday?

helga_t75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Fellow T2s, there's clearly a link between what we put in our mouth on one day and what our numbers are the following morning and I, for one would be really interested to see the connection between the 2. There are currently 2 different threads for this information but no connection. Shall we join them up?

For example, my bloods were 6.9 this morning and I am working hard to reduce them with a LCHF diet.

Yesterday for breakfast I had coffee with cream, lunch was some pate and celery and a spoon of peanut butter and dinner was stewed green beans, cauliflower, tomatoes and garlic with some grated cheese and 2 fried eggs. I was hungry at bedtime so had some cheese.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Yesterday morning 6.1 at 6.50am coffee and milk
Forgot to test rest of day has my sister and granddaughter where coming for Sunday meal.
Brunch around 11am gammon 1 fried egg in olive oil.
Evening meal 5 pm 1 roast potatoe,roast beef carrots turnip cauliflower broccoli
I was naughty today had 1 small slice of gateau with 1 scoop of ice cream

Checked bloods at 9.30 pm 5.4 surprised has last time I had any carbs by BG shot to 10.1

Today BG this morning 6.1 @ 6.25 am
After an hours walk with dogs it dropped to 5.8 at 9.30 am
I do intermittent fasting and no carbs eating only between 11 am and 5 pm two meals per day started 6 weeks ago lost 1stone upto last Tuesday weigh in day, weigh myself tomorrow and see what it is.
Finding that not eating carbs and intermittent fasting has helped reduce BG and the bonus is weight loss,well more than that it is fat loss from body I'm now nearly 3 dress sizes down. Feeling really good .K

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well according to my log
Breakfast was Mushrooms on toast
Lunch was a sausage and an egg
Dinner was home made Balti chicken and a little basmati rice

together with the odd coffee and a cup fruity tea at bed time that was it

FBG this morning 4.7 then an hour after breakfast 4.4. Oh and 2 hours after breakfast it was 5.5.

Just thought I'd add carbs 70 g and 700 calories

Last edited:
Reactions: Rubyjewelz
D

Deleted member 371625

Great idea

Saturday food
FBG 4.7
Breakfast: Scrambled egg, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, toast (1/2 slice seeded), OJ
4 mile walk

Snack (9am): 2 clementines, almonds

Lunch: Lasagne (left over from thu)

BG (6pm): 4.4

Dinner: Swordfish steak, fries (just a few, c.50g), samphire, hollandaise
2 mile walk
Dessert: Strawberries & Goats cheese (chabichou)

Calories 1540
Carbs 103g

Sunday, FBG 4.8

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs & smoked salmon, Strawberries, raspberries & yoghurt
2mile walk
Snack: Peach, peanuts (9am)

Lunch: Tomato & basil soup, bread & butter (1 slice, seeded), Goat cheese (chabichou)

2mile walk to pub
Beer (2 pints)
2 mile walk home

BG (6pm) 4.0

Dinner: Moussaka, cheesecake (no crust), blueberries

Calories: 1683
Carbs: 104g

I buy only ingredients and prepare all food from scratch.

FBG today 4.8

Last edited by a moderator:

helga_t75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Back up to 8.3 this morning! Dang.

Had coffee with cream for breakfast, with my metformin SR and some cheese. Had 3 hot sausages out the garage at midday.

Lunch was on the run at about 3.00pm, a packet of pate with cucumber and celery. I looked on the back afterwards and was disappointed to see it contained 20g of carbs (tapioca starch)!

It was really cold here all day, snow in the morning and then hail. Spent the morning in the caravan trying to stay warm and then got on with some jobs in the afternoon. Took the dog and goat for a wander up the lane just before dark.

Ate dinner at 9pm. 2 fried eggs, half a pack of spinach wilted in the pan, 1/3 of a tin of baked beans (about 20g carbs) and a sprinkling of cheese. Also had a small splodge of ketchup, probably about a teaspoon.

So a pretty carby day for me, and it has shown in this morning's results. Very cold here and I'm a bit snotty so wonder if I'm fighting something... Running low on test strips, but have a Libre waiting for me in the UK.

D

Deleted member 371625

Food yesterday (Monday)

Breakfast: Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Granola (home made, sugar free), Almond milk
................4 mile walk

Snack (10am): Salami, mozzarella

Lunch: Wild mushroom soup, toast (1/2 slice, seeded), chicken, peach, peanuts
................2 mile walk

BG 4.3
Dinner: Salmon, watercress, new pots, squash, runner beans / strawberries, yoghurt
Snack (10pm): Toast (1 slice, seeded)

Calories 1398
Carbs 96g

FBG today 5.3 (2lb off on the scales this morning, I have noticed this usually comes with a slightly higher FBG, perhaps my body thinks that starvation is imminent and insists on a bit more glucose, hee hee)

All food cooked from scratch. If you would like any recipes, please just ask.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sunday dinner. Pork chop with Fried rice.
Monday Morning FBG 6.0/76.0kg (Water fast)
Tuesday Morning FBG 5.0/74.5kg (lunch 80g cashew nuts, dinner - 1 slice harvati cheese/couple of walnuts/2 spoonsful virgin coconut oil)
Wednesday Morning FBG 4.9/74kg

D

Deleted member 371625

Food yesterday (Tuesday)

Breakfast: Scrambled egg, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, toast (1/2 slice seeded), OJ (1 orange)

Snack (10am): Peach, goat cheese, almonds

Lunch: Moussaka (Left overs)

Snack (4pm): Tangerine, peanuts

BG (6pm) 4.6
Dinner: Chicken Milanese, fries (50g), insalata tricolore

Calories 1641
Carbs 98g

FBG today, 5.1 (A little higher than for a while, but I have a cold)

helga_t75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
7.9 this morning, but like yesterday was back down to 6.4 by 11am. ?Dawn phenomenon

Coffee and cream for breakfast. Had wilted bok choy and 3 eggs scrambled at about midday. Made some keto peanut butter fudge fat bombs (coconut oil and peanut butter), had 2 and started to feel really nauseous... Also had what I think might have been a touch of induction/keto flu so took some electrolytes and had a nap in the afternoon (feel better today).

Dinner was a stirfry (picked the carrots out of a bag of stuff) with added avocado, beef strips, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and sesame oil. And a full fat organic yogurt. Had dinner at 2100. Too late for me but was hungry so didn't skip it.

Can't wait for the freestyle libre to arrive so I can really see what's going in. Running out of (and rationing test strips now).

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
FBG this morning 5.8

Yesterday ate roast duck and roast pork at Chinese restaurant for lunch
More roast pork for dinner with a bit of soy sauce with fresh chilli chopped up in it.
Slightly upset tum this morning...

Reactions: Freema and kokhongw
D

Deleted member 371625

Food yesterday (Wednesday)

Breakfast: Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Granola (home made, sugar free), Almond milk /
Parma Ham, Melon {173 Cal / 19.8g Carbs}

Snack (10am): Strawberries, gorgonzola, walnuts {177 Cal / 4.3g Carbs}

Lunch: Wild Mushroom Soup w/ chicken, toast (1 slice, seeded) / Satsuma, cashews {356 Cal / 33.3g Carbs}

BG (6pm) 4.8
Dinner: Shepherds Pie (Squash not spud), runner beans / Pineapple, cream {543 Cal / 25.7g Carbs}

5 cups of coffee too.

Calories 1485
Carbs 98g

FBG today, 5.3 (A little higher than for a while, but I have a cold)

D

Deleted member 371625

Breakfast: Scrambled egg, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, toast (1/2 slice), OJ (1 orange) {367 Cal / 19.2g Carbs}
................3.5 mile walk

Lunch: Tomato & basil soup, toast (1/2 slice) / Peach, goat cheese, peanuts {304 Cal / 24.0g Carbs}

BG (6pm) 4.8
Dinner: Monkfish, Crayfish tails, Sweet potato chips, Green beans, peas {337 Cal / 25.2g Carbs}
Dessert: Pear Belle Helene {251 Cal / 15.9g Carbs}

4 cups of coffee too.

Hungry at bedtime: Toast (1 slice), Milk

Calories 1513
Carbs 112g

FBG today, 5.3 (Poor nights sleep, still fighting a cold)

All food cooked from scratch. If you would like any recipes, please just ask

Reactions: 1spuds

helga_t75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Breakfast: Scrambled egg, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, toast (1/2 slice), OJ (1 orange) {367 Cal / 19.2g Carbs}

Lunch: Tomato & basil soup, toast (1/2 slice) / Peach, goat cheese, peanuts {304 Cal / 24.0g Carbs}

BG (6pm) 4.8
Dinner: Monkfish, Crayfish tails, Sweet potato chips, Green beans, peas {337 Cal / 25.2g Carbs}
Dessert: Pear Belle Helene {251 Cal / 15.9g Carbs}

4 cups of coffee too.

Hungry at bedtime: Toast (1 slice), Milk

Calories 1513
Carbs 112g

FBG today, 5.3 (Poor nights sleep, still fighting a cold)

This is really interesting for me. There's no way that I could eat this many carbs at the moment and have reasonable BS. Did you go lower than this and then come back up? How did you get here? (and well done!) Thanks :)

helga_t75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
FBG 7.6 yesterday morning!
Coffee with cream for breakfast
Lunch was a cabbage stir fry with mushrooms, herbs, a little passata, creme fraiche and some salami
No dinner, wasn't hungry
Snacks of cheese, cashews and a couple of keto peanut butter fudge fat bombs (coconut oil, peanut butter and sweetener - yum!)

Have just 'discovered' myfitnesspal.com. It's great for tracking everything... My macros for yesterday were 50g carbs / 135g fat / 104g protein and they should be 25g carbs / 170g fat / 135g protein so I can track this properly now! I also should have eaten 422 more calories (in fat and protein) so there's definitely adjustments to be made.

Evening bloods were 8.6 so I went for a walk and they came down to 8.1, and then I realised I' forgotten to take my metformin!

Bloods 8.1 again this morning. Feel like I've a bit of cold, not induction flu but an actual cold. Will do bloods at midday and hopefully they will come down again.

Keeping going :)

Reactions: berylc and Freema
D

Deleted member 371625

This is really interesting for me. There's no way that I could eat this many carbs at the moment and have reasonable BS. Did you go lower than this and then come back up? How did you get here? (and well done!) Thanks :)
Hi Helga
When I was diagnosed I cut out cake, biscuits, sweets etc. (well mostly, it was a week before xmas) and cut down on portion size for stuff like spuds and bread. To be fair, I had probably been eating best part of 3000 calories a day with maybe 400-500g carbs.

This is really the only change that I have made, with some increase in exercise (I always walked a lot anyway but am being more systematic). I always ate a lot of good food, just had a lot of bad stuff on top.

As the weight began to drop off my BG figures have fallen too (see signature below). There is quite a lot of evidence linking excess weight to insulin resistance so it may be that this is all that was necessary as occasional higher carb meals appear to be having no effect. I do measure after my heaviest carb meal each day, 2 hour values are all under 6 and often under 5. I haven't had another Hba1c done yet (due in April) but it would be a surprise if I didn't see a significant fall as I'm not sure how low daily BGs would have to be.

If this continues is it cure or remission? If I can attain normal BG figures with a normal diet and no meds, then I believe cure - though certain to return if weight goes back on. I guess just a matter of a persons point of view.

Anyway, bad lad today, after 4 hours yomping across fields and hillsides and a nice chicken, tomato, mozzarella, avocado salad, I hade some great chips and a beer. BG at 530 is 5.2 so pretty standard.

I wish you well and hope that you can get your weight down and maybe get your BG in good order again.

Reactions: shahrielhussein

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Home made porky bolognese a Tom Kerridges recipe,it was leftovers from our previous evening meal that was lunch.
Then I made Hairy Bikers Spanish chicken for evening meal,and had it with Cauliflower, this leftover I had this lunch time today, and had salmon oven baked with a mixed salad with olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette dressing for evening meal today. Plus cups of tea and coffee and fruit teas.
BG 5.25 am = 6.5
BG 11.20am = 5.7
BG 6.1 2 hours after food @ 13 .10 pm

1 hour walk with dogs 8 am - 9 am try to do it everyday
But had two days off this week due to back pain.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1spuds and Freema
D

Deleted member 371625

Breakfast: Kippers, tomatoes, toast (1 slice), Satsuma {223 Cal / 19.8g Carbs}

Snack: Cereal Bar {99 Cal / 13.7g Carbs}
................8 mile walk

Picnic: Chicken, Mozzerella, Tomato, Avocado {318 Cal / 3.5g Carbs}

Pub (3pm): Chips, Aioli, Beer (1/2 Pint) {336 Cal / 27.3g Carbs}

BG (6pm) 5.3

Dinner: Left Over Shepherds Pie (Squash not spud), Carrots, Cauliflower {414 Cal / 16.8g Carbs}

Pub (8pm): Medium red wine, Large malt whiskey {215 Cal / 3.1g Carbs}

4 cups of coffee too.

Calories 1827
Carbs 100g

FBG today, 5.1