Type 1 Blood pressure really high for 2 weeks now..What do I do??

waz_4987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys,

Its my first post on here...

I've been type 1 diabetic now for over 26 years. My control hasn't been that great. At the start of this year (2016) my hba1c was 9% and I have managed to get it down to 8.5% (I'm slowly improving). Hoping to reach 8% soon. For me, I have always struggled to get good hba1c readings - the story of my life...

2 years ago I had problems with my eyes (diabetic retinopathy) and had to have a few eye laser session to stop the leaky blood vessels at the back of my eye. It was a horrible experience.

I am currently on blood pressure medication - Ramipril 2.5ng - one per day as I have hypertension.

Over the last few weeks, I have been monitoring my blood pressure, using an omron m3 home blood pressure monitoring kit (these are the same ones used in doctors surgeries). I know its accurate as I take multiple readings during the day, and have tried it on other family members. My blood pressure reading are consistently high. Typically around 150/100, and I feel a little dizzy at times.

I am really concerned by this, as I don't want to develop further eye problems and I'm terrified of developing early signs of kidney disease. I know that if my blood pressure stays like this, I'm in trouble...

I have booked an appointment with my gp and I have to wait over a week to get it (its on Fri 2nd Dec). I'm kind of annoyed that I have to wait so long just to see a doctor in order to change my blood pressure medication. My gp surgey is hopeless when it comes to getting an appointment in a few days. They typically average at 2 week wait. I'm lucky that I have to wait for a week. I can't book an emergency appointment with the Doctor - as I've been told if its an emergency I have to go to A&E.

Any ideas on what I can do to get an appointment earlier?

Also, any ideas on how to reduce my blood pressure? - Im regularly exercising (cycling and weightlifting) and I don't eat takeaways/coffee or high salt sugars.

Thanks
Waz

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Hi Waz and welcome to the forum.
Well done for taking control and making the first step by organising an appointment with your GP. I know its a week away but you have one. My surgery always have some appointments you can book on the day but you need to phone as soon as they open to stand a chance of getting one. The other option you may have is to keep your GP appointment for friday but also make an earlier appointment with the nurse practitioner of the surgery, if nothing else she can check you BP and record the reading so when you see the GP they have two readings to go by not just one. It's just an idea otherwise you may have to see the nurse another day anyway for your BP to be checked again before the GP is prepared to prescribe BP tablets or increase the ones your already on.
Just a thought,
Maggie

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Typically around 150/100, and I feel a little dizzy at times.

Those levels are quite high, I'd imagine your gp will want to increase your bp medication to bring those levels down.

As you have diabetic retinopathy your right to be concerned about your bp, when someone has retinopathy it's important to keep their bg, bp and cholesterol levels under control, also @waz_4987 you need to be aware that sudden tightening of diabetes control can be detrimental to those who have active retinopathy, the usual advice is to make improvements over a longer period of time so your slow progress in HbA1c is good (but if unsure of any anything check with your Ophthalmologist or diabetes Consultant).

There's a good explanation in the following about bp and diabetes complications :

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/prevention/Diabetes and Blood Pressure.htm

Best wishes.

waz_4987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Waz and welcome to the forum.
Well done for taking control and making the first step by organising an appointment with your GP. I know its a week away but you have one. My surgery always have some appointments you can book on the day but you need to phone as soon as they open to stand a chance of getting one. The other option you may have is to keep your GP appointment for friday but also make an earlier appointment with the nurse practitioner of the surgery, if nothing else she can check you BP and record the reading so when you see the GP they have two readings to go by not just one. It's just an idea otherwise you may have to see the nurse another day anyway for your BP to be checked again before the GP is prepared to prescribe BP tablets or increase the ones your already on.
Just a thought,
Maggie

Hi Maggie,

Thanks for those suggestions. I will give them a try first thing Monday morning - wish me luck :)

waz_4987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Those levels are quite high, I'd imagine your gp will want to increase your bp medication to bring those levels down.

As you have diabetic retinopathy your right to be concerned about your bp, when someone has retinopathy it's important to keep their bg, bp and cholesterol levels under control, also @waz_4987 you need to be aware that sudden tightening of diabetes control can be detrimental to those who have active retinopathy, the usual advice is to make improvements over a longer period of time so your slow progress in HbA1c is good (but if unsure of any anything check with your Ophthalmologist or diabetes Consultant).

There's a good explanation in the following about bp and diabetes complications :

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/prevention/Diabetes and Blood Pressure.htm

Best wishes.

Thanks for sending the link - interesting stuff

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @was_4987
As others have said, well done for taking control and for achieving a reduction in your HbA1c. That's really positive action.

Regarding your blood pressure, although the 'upper' number is important but so is the 'lower' number. Please keep monitoring your blood pressure over the weekend but, importantly, don't let yourself get too stressed about it otherwise you'll likely push your BP up further, which isn't what you need, eh ?

If possible, try to relax over the weekend, and take things gently. Maybe go for some short, gentle walks without exertion.

Keep an eye on the 'lower' figure and if it is consistently at 100, or goes above, I would suggest you go to A/E, taking your readings with you.

Assuming your BP settles a bit now that you've had some reassurance, get to see the nurse at the surgery on Monday and, yes, keep your appt with your doctor as he may well wish to increase/change your medication.

Wishing you all the best and looking forward to hearing your BP has settled a bit now :)

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you could also go very low salt and eat some more high potassium foods like avocadoes... mango is also high in potassium but spikes very much..
  • 1) Avocado. 1 whole: 1068 mg (30% DV)
  • 2) Spinach. 1 cup: 839mg (24% DV)
  • 3) Sweet potato. 1 medium: 952 mg (27% DV)
  • 4) Coconut Water. 1 cup 600 mg (17% DV)
  • 5) Kefir or Yogurt. 1 cup: 579 mg (15% DV)
  • 6) White Beans. ½ cup: 502 mg (15% DV)
but don´t eat more than 4.700 mg a day as it can also be poisonous if one gets too much... if you have kidney problems it is not a way to go and one has to talk to ones GP before starting going higher in potassium

PeterGC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi when my doctor found I had high blood pressure he put me on a 12 hour monitor the results were that I'm 137/76 average so having seen my doctor a few days ago they've put me on 2.5 mg of Ramipril so my advice is see your doctor asap let them advise you hopefully allow goes well

Reactions: Freema

waz_4987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your messages guys - I will let you know the outcome of my doctors appointment on here - @Freema - I will also give the avacados a try and @Energize I will just relax a bit over the weekend.

Reactions: Energize

waz_4987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Right guys - I had my appointment today, bp was 160/95. My doctor advised that i double my bp medication to 5mg ramipril. Will be monitoring my bp at various times during the day to see how things go

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Right guys - I had my appointment today, bp was 160/95. My doctor advised that i double my bp medication to 5mg ramipril. Will be monitoring my bp at various times during the day to see how things go

Hi Waz,
Glad you got to your appointment ok. Hope you get on with the increase to your medication and it works for you.
Good luck
Maggie