Blood Pressure-t1

Carptastic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles :)
Hi all, ive been suffering with some high blood pressure readings of late i reported this to my docs who said there satisfactory i look at the chart for the NHS there off the scale im in the red :( my highest recorded was 160/104 currently today 137/93 which is still in the red.
Im already suffering with stress anxiety etc which dont help matters any ideas what i can do to help and get it down ? an no i dont smoke havent for 4 years
TIA

Steve

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Are you overweight? Is taking more exercise feasible?

Reactions: Carptastic

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
When the go want blood pressure readings they as you to take 7 days worth

Morning and evening

2 tests in the morning 2 in the evening 5 minutes apart

You then take the average of those and they will work from that

Mine always winges if I’m over 130/

Mine is always around 160/80

2 good ways to naturally reduce is less salt and exercise

If I go swimming I get lower levels for about a week

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went through this with the doc recently, just borderline high blood pressure so I was advised to cut back on alcohol & increase exercise.

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
I suffer from white coat syndrome no matter how great an HCP is.

Spot BP checks at the practice or pharmacy are not an accurate reflection of what's going on; I have bought a BP monitor from Boots (£40ish I think) and check BP 3 times a week, sitting down for 10-15 mins prior. I'm now in normal range every time I check.

I've also gone onto once daily Ampiril as an added security measure, with no adverse affects.

Weight loss, exercise have also helped.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Steve you can get a 24 hour measure to see if you have white coat syndrome or this is anxiety driven. GP will give you best of 3 and I tell my PT clients to measure at home first thing in the morning! That said your levels are hypertensive.
It is important as its a risk factor for heart disease and stroke.
The short term is to take meds to open up your arteries and relieve the pressure that may cause damage to your arterial walls. As excess glucose also damages the arterial walls this could be a double whammy for a type 1 even if you don't feel unwell.
In the medium to longer term weight loss and a lower carb diet can help (carbs encourage your body to hold onto fluid). Unless you are salt sensitive that shouldn't be an issue though cutting down on processed foods is always a good idea due to the high amount of low quality carbs involved!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP once advised me people who have diabetes blood pressure should not be higher than 135/70 so personally I use that as a guide. I have white coat syndrome so I have bought my own BP machine from Lloyds Pharmacy (around £25) - I take my own BP readings randomly and usually for a week before my reviews and just give DN the readings which she records an average of these readings. I take Amlodipine 1 a day to control my blood pressure with no side effects for me I have found. I asked my GP what my BP would need to be to come off the meds and she said it would have to be 90/60 for a week or more. You have remined me to check my BP as I haven't done it in ages - so thanks for that :happy:

Carptastic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles :)
Thanks everyone, to answer a few questions yes i am overweight i seem to have added a few kilos since my diagnoses in June 2020 i do struggle a bit with exercise with other issues i have but i do try my trouble is i push to hard then the next day suffers.
im not up to speed with carb counting etc yet and my diet isnt probably the best,im hoping o get in to see the dietician now we coming out of this lockdown aswell as the diabetic nurse i havent been able to see either since it all started.
im usually a positive guy even with my problems i usually keep going but this has been something else since being diagnosed!
the anxiety-depression has somewhat got worse thankfully i have a good family who are my rock that way.
its scary to think an do what i did and see the NHS chart after the doc saying satisfactory but there chart well in the red with the BP so i need to take on board and look at the changes i need to make and get this moving the right way and try stay positive!
Many thanks all

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great replies and I just wanted to add it's not always because of 'lifestyle'. Mine has always hovered around the upper levels and sometimes pops above that. I am slim, run 6 days a week, exercise at other times too, do not smoke or drink and am on a fairly low carb diet. As with many other things, sometimes it's just one of those things that may be natural for you. I appreciate of course, that all of the above may help lower it but to me it's a little like cholesterol, what's normal for an individual?