Blood Pressure Tablets

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my blood pressure is slightly high so iv been reccomended to go on blood pressure tablets i wanted to ask other type 1 who takes them and are there any side affects to them and did they help getting blood pressure in good range

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have high blood pressure that is controlled with medication, I have not noticed any side effects from them and they keep my pressure in the "normal" range. My last reading was 120/72, they do say to not prescribe medication on one/two readings but a series of them to confirm that it is indeed raised.

Reactions: Sweetheart66

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know some (all?) BP medications cause side effects, but not everyone is affected. For example, my brother's medication causes a cough (which he is willing to live with) but the same medication causes my husband's feet to swell although he has no cough.

I know several people who have no side effects, hopefully you'll be lucky. If not, your GP can try something else.

Reactions: Sweetheart66

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I've been on blood pressure tablets for over twenty-five years, including two pregnancies, never noticed any side effects. (Actually, I lie, the pills I went on during pregnancy had a distinct soporific effect, but luckily they were only for 9 months at a time.) In retrospect, I wish I'd tried harder (more exercise?) to keep off the meds, but that's just because I like to minimise the medication I'm on, not because of side effects. Do they work? Yes, for me, anyway.

Jouni1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
evil people
Blood pressure meds are good for you, especially your kidneys and eyes.
I use blood pressure meds just for kidneys and eye health, doctor said lower blood pressure will give more time for my kidneys and eyes. Im not even overweight and I exercise regulary.

Google medication Verapamil. Its been used since 1981, but recently found to have interesting 'side effects' (regnerate beta cells).
Verapamil is not first option for doctors to prescribe, since there is newer meds are better.