Blood pressure white coat syndrome help

M

ME_Valentijn

I get the opposite problem ... weak pulse. Doctors usually try to take my BP a few times with the machine while puzzling over why they can't get a reading, then give up on it and dig out the old manual cuff and stethoscope. Actually, that bafflement is probably my favorite part of any medical appointment :D

Reactions: Prem51

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I get the opposite problem ... weak pulse. Doctors usually try to take my BP a few times with the machine while puzzling over why they can't get a reading, then give up on it and dig out the old manual cuff and stethoscope. Actually, that bafflement is probably my favorite part of any medical appointment :D
My granny was always like that - BP too low - the amount of times she used to pass out when she wasn't well!

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
After another conversation with the practise manager who has finally marked me to have another 24h monitor after high readings at the surgery which has been going on now since I was 18. Now 40.

Finally a flag of white coat has been put on my record. This is the third time I have had to refuse to give readings at the surgery, put a complaint into the practise manager and request a 24 hour monitor.

I informed him that I gave the nurse readings from my home machine which they asked me to BUY which averaged out to 132 over 86. He said there is no point in those home machines as they are not calibrated so we can't trust the readings. SO WHY DID YOU ASK ME TO BUY ONE THEN ARHHHHHH. 24 quid down the drain. We we have to be careful as you may have a stroke. Strange that's what the doctor said 22 years ago and I still haven't had one and they wonder why my blood pressure is high at the surgery.

Does anyone have any advice that could change my situation for the better. Even the practise manager is sick of hearing from me. And we are an first name terms. This has got to change.

I am very sceptical about these measurements. I suspect these drugs are a pharmaceutical market. When my dr. prescribed a blood pressure drug
("Ela-something" or other) because I do have high blood pressure, I decided to deny taking it after it made me feel having heart pain and dizziness. When I read about it on Drugs.com I found it had an almost fatal interaction with lithium, which I take. I think everyone is different.

Rant over.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
btw the instructions with the Omron monitor say that you shouldn't eat or move about 30 minutes before taking reading,

The not eating wouldn't be a problem but not moving................:wideyed:

JuliaAR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
You're not alone in the white coat club. My doctors know I suffer white coat hypertension and I also seem to get white coat hyperglycemia too so all readings taken at the clinic are way higher than I get at home. The suggestion of taking your monitor in and doing the pressure test alongside the official one is good. I did this at the blood clinic with my glucose monitor and used the same blood sample on my meter as they were testing just to prove to them that it was accurate. Guess what - I got the same reading as them but it was way higher at the clinic than the reading I had taken at home. Its weird because you don't even feel particularly stressed. It just happens. It's a real nuisance but I haven't found a remedy yet either. Deep breathing, meditation, tried it all.

Reactions: pumas and Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The not eating wouldn't be a problem but not moving................:wideyed:
Well to be accurate the instructions say:
'To take a measurement, you need to be relaxed and comfortably seated, under comfortable room temperature. No eating, smoking or exercising 30 minutes before taking a measurement.'

I just noticed that the instructions also say that the values that can be used as a guide to high blood pressure for measurements taken at home are:
Systolic Blood Pressure - Above 135 mmHg
Diastolic Blood Pressure - Above 85 mmHg

Since last August I have only had one systolic reading over 135 (136), mostly they are in the 120s or lower.
And I've only had 2 diastolic readings over 85 (86), Most have been between 66-81.

Last edited:
Reactions: noblehead

$ugar daddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sheepy'
I pop in on regular occasions when I don't have an appointment booked and take readings on the surgery's own Bp monitor' they normally have one available somewhere.
I find the readings are fairer as your in a more relaxed state. My GP is happy to accept the print outs when I present them to him.
BTW my surgery don't recommend making an appointment to see Gp unless readings above 140/90..."go figure hey!!

Reactions: Prem51