Blood readings elevated after hospital stay

dizaster

hi all,

Seven weeks ago I was admitted to hospital after collapsing due to multiple pulmonary embolisms.
When I came out my BM’s were elevated from its previous 7 to 10’s to now high teens early 20’s
I contacted my local diabetic team and was told not to worry as some insulin resistance is to be expected after such a stressful hospital stay. Now five weeks out of hospital and BM’s are still high. (high teens.)
How long should it take for my BM’s to return to previous levels.

I was advised to increase my insulin to help combat the high readings.
Initially I was on 10-12 units of Novarapid and 54units Toujeo
Currently taking 32 units novarapid and 65units Toujeo

Any advice greatfully received

Cheers Diz

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you been put on steroids or other medicine that can give you high bg?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nope, no change in my medications. PE’s are being left to disperse naturally

Hi there, whenever my Mum went into hospital (no matter what for), her glucose levels would be sky high. The FOOD they gave her, along with her injections that were NEVER given at the right time before meals (either up to an hour before or WITH the food). What food do you normally eat? I see you've been out for 5 weeks but we all know it can take a good month of 'normality' to get back to normal. x

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my two separate weeks in hospital both demonstrated the lack of a LCHF alternative on food, and also elevated sugars due to lack of "exercise" and by this I mean any normal amount of movement; if you don't use the sugars up (fuel!) then it just stays there and raises the level.

dizaster

Whilst in hospital, I managed all my BM’s testing and insulin injections as I have on previous stays in hospital.
My foods havnt changed from what I was eating before I went in, my activity is down some due to breathlessness brought on by the pulmonary embolisms.
So now I’m at the point of bm’s Being twice if not 3x as high as before I originally went in. My novarapid is 3x the units and my tuojeo is up from 50u to 65u. I’m thinking of upping the Toujeo (background) insulin totry and get the novarapid down.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst in hospital, I managed all my BM’s testing and insulin injections as I have on previous stays in hospital.
My foods havnt changed from what I was eating before I went in, my activity is down some due to breathlessness brought on by the pulmonary embolisms.
So now I’m at the point of bm’s Being twice if not 3x as high as before I originally went in. My novarapid is 3x the units and my tuojeo is up from 50u to 65u. I’m thinking of upping the Toujeo (background) insulin totry and get the novarapid down.

Hi dizaster, I'm not T1, so no specific wisdom to offer you, but have you checked your insulins are still in date? Have you tried using a fresh vial or pen? Have your insulins been kept "properly"?

dizaster

Hi dizaster, I'm not T1, so no specific wisdom to offer you, but have you checked your insulins are still in date? Have you tried using a fresh vial or pen? Have your insulins been kept "properly"?
I’m a type 2 who is on tablets and insulin.
My pens came from pharmacy just a few weeks ago so should be in date. But I double checked to make sure and was reflufed to find tray are in date

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I’m thinking of upping the Toujeo (background) insulin to try and get the novarapid down.

Have your team told you how to do basal testing? It's normal for T1s to need a lot more insulin when ill or stressed. I suspect it to be as bad or even worse for T2s. When your basal isn't right it's very very hard to get your levels right, as you're constantly trying to play catch up with high sugar levels. Plus, insulin resistance tends to go up when your blood sugars are high, so you need more insulin to reduce the levels than you would if they were lower.

Contact your team again.

Lots of hugs. I'm sure the high levels are making you feel sick on their own, let alone the original PE.

(Other things to consider
1) Change pens, even though you say they are in date. They've been kept in the fridge?
2) Check injection sites. If you've developed fatty lumps through overuse you need to inject in a different place (eg higher up your tummy?) )