i know im not cured but at least the levels are going in the right direction
will metformin be stopped now?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
thanks everyone im over the moon
i know im not cured but at least the levels are going in the right direction
will metformin be stopped now?

Metformin is a tricky one.
It is possible that it is good for you even when you have good control.

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
LittleGreyCat, can I ask why you say what you do about metformin?.Why do some people take it and others rely on diet? Just wondered as it's the first time I've heard anyone say it was 'good' for you

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
LittleGreyCat, can I ask why you say what you do about metformin?.Why do some people take it and others rely on diet? Just wondered as it's the first time I've heard anyone say it was 'good' for you

Metformin is alleged to help against inflammation (so could be good for the vascular system) and also protect against some forms of dementia.

A study a while back suggested that well controlled T2s on Metformin might have a longer life expectancy than non-diabetics.

All subject to further research but enough indications to make me wonder if it is better to stay on these particular pills.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I have also read that it protects against certain cancers. I forgot to take mine for a couple of weekswhen I had to stay with my mum, and it didnt make any difference to my bgl at all. But I will continue to take it because my family history includes a lot of early cancers.

It has been around for a very long time and seems tohave few long term side effects. So, on balance, I think I will keep it.

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
I have also read that it protects against certain cancers. I forgot to take mine for a couple of weekswhen I had to stay with my mum, and it didnt make any difference to my bgl at all. But I will continue to take it because my family history includes a lot of early cancers.

It has been around for a very long time and seems tohave few long term side effects. So, on balance, I think I will keep it.

Good side effects I assume? My dr said he would have it for me when my HbA1c rose to 50 ish,He seemed convinced it would. We'll see!! That was 5 years ago and so far it's only 43....

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good side effects I assume? My dr said he would have it for me when my HbA1c rose to 50 ish,He seemed convinced it would. We'll see!! That was 5 years ago and so far it's only 43....

Ooops! Should have made that clear! I have not read about any bad long term side effects, and it has been around long enough to know. The worst effects tend to be short term.
And only good long term effects. As all the women on my mums side of the family have died of the same sort of cancer I have decided that I will take the metformin, even tho I dont think I really need it for the t2d.

Its one of those situations where we must find out all we can and then take a decision based on the best evidence at the time. And always keep up with as much research as we are able to.

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
Ooops! Should have made that clear! I have not read about any bad long term side effects, and it has been around long enough to know. The worst effects tend to be short term.
And only good long term effects. As all the women on my mums side of the family have died of the same sort of cancer I have decided that I will take the metformin, even tho I dont think I really need it for the t2d.

Its one of those situations where we must find out all we can and then take a decision based on the best evidence at the time. And always keep up with as much research as we are able to.
Come to think of it I think I read in the press that Metformin is good for something other than diabetes, it must be to what you are referring.