Blood sugar 2 hours after meal 7mmol/l

SunnyC

Hi, I recently felt I have diabetes as I am losing weight. I tested myself randomly 2 hours after meal and my readings are around 7mmol/l.

I ate half cup of white rice already with vegetables and meat. I did some brisk walking after an hour but the reading is also at 7. I am really scared. As I read over 7.8mmol/l is prediabetes?

What should I do? Should I cut even more down the carbs? Please help.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome @SunnyC
Unexplained weight loss can be a symptom of uncontrolled blood sugar levels but I think you would be much higher than 7mmol. Self diagnosis is never a good idea especially when you are testing with a fairly inaccurate home glucose meter

What should I do?

A visit to your Dr to get yourself checked out would be my advice

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome @SunnyC . I agree with @catinahat , you really should have a chat with your GP as there is a range of possible causes for your weight loss.

SunnyC

Thanks for the reply. I did had a full body check around 2 weeks ago. Doctor said my fasting sugar was a little low but not that low. He said a number of 50 where 52 is the lower limit. Not sure what that means. He didn't said anything need to worry.

So it got me worried and I started to monitor myself randomly. Some days with same white rice amount and vegetables my number is around 5.5, but I am getting 7.

Any other suggestions?

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
OK for your Dr to measure a result of 50 and say its the lower limit, it must have been a finger prick test with a meter using mg/dl units.
The results you are getting of 5.5 to 7 have to be in mmol/l units.
If I were to eat rice of any colour my finger prick results would be much higher than 7 mmol/l.
5.5 - - 7 mmol/l is the equivalent to 99 - - 126 when converted to mg/dl
The problem for people with diabetes is high blood sugar levels. We only need to worry about low levels if we have taken too much medication.