Blood sugar 6

Mindles

Blood sugar 6 before meal which is good I believe. I just wondered what it should be after a meal as i take 3 x metformin A day. My BS are normally okish although have more ups then downs. Evening meal seems the good one where BS sit around 6, breakfast ok and then lunch is the weird one where mid morning it rises then drops before lunch back to normal then nicely rises again to around 10 sometime after lunch and I have no idea why? Is this really bad. Last HBA1C was 48 which was amazing for me but I’ve lost three stone since my old readings of 60/70 mark. Type 2 is heredity for me but keep hoping maybe just maybe I can get lowered on my metformin if I keep this up. Saying that I love sweet food!!!

Last edited:

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats not to bad all depend when/what you last ate ect.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ideally 2 hours post meal you'd be looking for no more than a 2-3mmol rise from pre meal levels
xx

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
rises then drops before lunch back to normal then nicely rises again to around 10 sometime after lunch and I have no idea why?
What are you eating for bfast and lunch when you see these results?

mouseee

The metformin isn't going to lower your blood sugar by itself. That's not its job. It makes you use the insulin in your body better as t2s are insulin resistant - but you may know that. It also reduces the amount of glucose released by the liver.

Use your meter together with a food diary and you will be able to work out what effects you. My guess is sandwiches are involved at lunchtime! Or at least something that has carbs in it.

My t2 is inherited too, but if metformin was the magic pill, my mum wouldn't have had all the serious diabetic problems she has had. Shes taken metformin for many many years.

Reactions: jjraak

Mindles

What are you eating for bfast and lunch when you see these results?

Well today was a bad lunch scotch egg crisps and wispa :(
Yesterday a nice sandwich (beef) didn’t go up a lot at all
Morning Is fibre cereal and fruit which seems to control me nicely till an early lunch
Tea normally chicken breast and maybe a little carbs

I have noticed carbs can spike it up

mouseee

Morning Is fibre cereal and fruit which seems to control me nicely till an early lunch

Sandwich.... carbs.... cereal.... carbs....fruit.... carbs..... all will take blood sugar up although you may be able to tolerate them... I couldn't, apart from a few berries and the odd apple or pear I can't do fruit. (Miss fruit a lot!)

Won't mention the lunch, you know what's wrong there.... lol.... my meals are certainly not always perfect enough to comment on it!!! Haha

Reactions: DJC3

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

OK that's all fairly carby so in your shoes I'd be trying to reduce a bit more.
Scotch egg could be ok, best if homemade with no breadcrumbs, and obviously crisps and wispa aren't great but you know that.
Bread of any kind sends my blood crazy and triggers old addiction issues so I'd just have the beef in a non sandwich.
Fibre cereal and fruit definitely avoid and do eggs and bacon instead.
Chicken thighs are better than dry old breast and the fat helps with satiety.
So up the fats reduce the carbs and you should start to see some better numbers.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
One place that has a lot of great low carb meals including breakfast ideas like a healthy porridge option (not everyone wants to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast. I do, but some people just don't) is try www.dietdoctor.com or you can use google for low carb meals. dietdoctor is a great starting place though.

Also take a look at this link below, written by one of our members here. Great info for diet.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

Reactions: JoKalsbeek