Blood sugar above 8.0 for almost 24hrs - should I be worried?

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I know they say the occasional high is fine as long as you correct it quickly. I'm 5w4d and for the past almost 24hrs I can't seem to get my blood sugars below 8 no matter how many corrections I do. I haven't been above 9 so it hasn't been really high but its been slightly high for a long time. I know that this is a crucial time in the development of the baby. Should I be worried that this has done damage?

P.S. I realised about 10mins ago that I forgot to take my metformin so I'm pretty certain that's what the issue was. I won't forget it again! I have been so stressed out trying to get my levels down!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hope your metformin sorts it out. Come back and let us know.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't stress, Janelle. Although 8 is slightly high, it's not too high. You'll never get perfect sugars throughout your pregnancy, but it sounds like you're doing everything you can to get your control nice and tight. That's the main thing. My consultant said the odd high sugar won't hurt. I had problems early in pregnancy with sugars of 11 or 12, but I kept correcting, testing and adjusting my insulin and all was well.

And now you know the reason, I should hope you're feeling much happier.

Reactions: 4 people

Janelle123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't stress, Janelle. Although 8 is slightly high, it's not too high. You'll never get perfect sugars throughout your pregnancy, but it sounds like you're doing everything you can to get your control nice and tight. That's the main thing. My consultant said the odd high sugar won't hurt. I had problems early in pregnancy with sugars of 11 or 12, but I kept correcting, testing and adjusting my insulin and all was well.

And now you know the reason, I should hope you're feeling much happier.
Thanks, its reassuring to hear of others that had issues with some highs in early pregnancy and went on to have healthy babies

Reactions: 2 people