Blood sugar after eating

jenni52

Hi all, I am trying to get my blood sugar back on track after getting an hba1c result of 8.6%.

My question is, if your sugar is high before eating then as long as the result two hours after eating is no more than 2 points higher is that food ok?

For example, before breakfast I was at 10.6 but after two hours was 9.5. Even though this is higher than 8.5 is it acceptable as it didn't rise by more than 2?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The meal was a good choice, because it didn't raise you higher, so merits a repeat. I would want to know why you were a 10.6 before that time, though. Bad night's sleep, another meal, stress, illness, medication? Something to keep an eye on. Yes, you were higher than would be considered normal, but sometimes it can't be helped. (Like when you're on steroids, or have a bug going around).

But the meal was a good option, and merits repeating. Well done. :)

jenni52

The meal was a good choice, because it didn't raise you higher, so merits a repeat. I would want to know why you were a 10.6 before that time, though. Bad night's sleep, another meal, stress, illness, medication? Something to keep an eye on. Yes, you were higher than would be considered normal, but sometimes it can't be helped. (Like when you're on steroids, or have a bug going around).

But the meal was a good option, and merits repeating. Well done. :)
Thank you! My morning reading has always been higher than others. I read that it's always the last one to come down too so for the moment I am concentrating on which foods I can tolerate during the day and getting those readings down.

Reactions: MimT and lovinglife

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you! My morning reading has always been higher than others. I read that it's always the last one to come down too so for the moment I am concentrating on which foods I can tolerate during the day and getting those readings down.
If those are consistently like this meal was, 2.0 mmol/l or less than what you were before eating, the over-all numbers should come down, indeed. And yeah, morning fasting is the very last to come down, but consider this: it's something that's stored in the liver, that your body uses to help you start the day. So while it is -for the moment- high, it does mean the stores in your liver are depleting, and with a rise of 2.0 mmol/l or less, you're not putting anything back in the liver, either.

So basically, you're doing a more than excellent job! Keep it up! :)
Jo

• Agree
Reactions: MimT and lovinglife