Blood sugar all over the place

blan264

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I recently started weightlifting and doing cardio. My blood sugars are all over the place. I've only been doing it for a week. Let's say I have a bowl of cherrios. I'll bolus what I normally would and an hour or 2 later I'm down in the 30s. I'll bring it back up and within an hour I'm going low again. I've reduced my basil slightly but I'm still having problems. I've been trying to stay a little higher and quit taking insulin on some snacks.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Seen you are on a pump @blan264

Try reducing your bolus dose before working out and use a higher TBR to see if this helps.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @blan264, when I started doing weights, I had to reduce my pre-session bolus by about 25%. What I also found was that within a couple of weeks my sensitivity had gone up dramatically. I ended up reducing my basal by around 50%.

I guess what I'm saying is that my experience of weight training is that it has a huge impact on insulin sensitivity. The need for insulin I found was massively reduced. You need to test a lot to work out what level you need to be at but you can get there.

I'd also recommend purchasing a Libre if you can afford it. It makes managing the variations between training and non-training days a lot easier to manage.